FORUMS: list search recent posts

Jibs / Cranes ? Anyone heard of PROAm ? or others ?

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dpdenverJibs / Cranes ? Anyone heard of PROAm ? or others ?
by on Feb 17, 2006 at 1:24:34 am

I'm posting here cause I haven't seen a better forum to post this question to. If another forum jumps out at you - please let me know.

I am looking at doing an "exercise" training video. I have watched many and it seems that the "slow swoop down and around '5 seconds or so' clips" are a very "nice" feature to include if properly mixes in with other cuts.

I noticed in Serious Magic's Making of a Wedding Surprise - that Mark Randell was using a EZFX jib.

I also found an 8' jib at bargain-camera.com that seems to have several similiar features - but is a bit less pricey ($500 or more less). The one I am looking at is the ProAm Multimedia DVC200 - an 8' crane.

I am wondering if anyone has experience with either the EZ FX or ProAm - and particuarly if anyone has used the ProAm and can comment on it - or if anyone has another recommendation. Particularly I would like to know postive or negative on the ProAm.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Peter RalphRe: Jibs / Cranes ? Anyone heard of PROAm ? or others ?
by on Feb 17, 2006 at 5:06:46 am

The EZFX jib is a sweet unit - beefy! For a lighter cam checkout the Promax CobraCrane. You will also need a monitor and a remote to use a crane efficiently. You could probably fake it with a handheld steadi-rig if you have time for a few extra takes.

Return to posts index

Doug GrahamRe: Jibs / Cranes ? Anyone heard of PROAm ? or others ?
by on Feb 17, 2006 at 2:14:10 pm

Before buying anything as specialized and expensive as a jib arm/crane, do the following:

1. Get a copy of Mark and Trish Von Lanken's "Moving Camera Techniques" DVD, and see if you can get what you want with a little practice and a monopod.

2. If you have to have a jib arm or crane, look into renting one.

Regards,
Doug Graham

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Jibs / Cranes ? Anyone heard of PROAm ? or others ?
by on Feb 17, 2006 at 5:07:34 pm

Best to rent these unless you are going to use them weekly. You get more crane/jib for the money that way as well... like a dolly and circular track to really make the shot swoop nicely.

Return to posts index

Luke DuncanRe: Jibs / Cranes ? Anyone heard of PROAm ? or others ?
by on Feb 19, 2006 at 6:18:19 am

My parents got me the ProAm crane you referenced for Xmas this year (pretty nice present, eh? especially when all my other mid-20s friends got books and ties).

I have enjoyed it immensely. The shots I get with my GL2 are wonderfully smooth, and it really adds quite a bit of production value to any job (if not overused, of course).

You'll want a quick-release plate for the bottom and some sort of monitor. I happen to have a portable DVD player from Best Buy (store brand) that works quite well for this. $150 + $10 in cables at Radio Shack. It doesn't relay the color/exposure information perfectly, but it's great to check framing.

You'll also need a serious tripod to handle the weight. Mounted on my hefty Bogen tripod, I've flown it up to 18 feet, which is plenty high for most applications. If you've got a sturdy tripod, you can achieve steady results at such heights.

A caveat: It's not quick-folding or anything, so you'll need to budget 5 minutes to set it up and take it down before loading it into your vehicle.

Hope that was some useful info for you.

Return to posts index

dpdenverRe: Jibs / Cranes ? Anyone heard of PROAm ? or others ?
by on Feb 19, 2006 at 6:16:24 pm

Thanks Luke. That is very helpful. I actually have several other questions I wouldn't mind asking - and I would be glad to call you or email (or even post here. (a call just seems to often save a lot of time) If you send me an email a "dave @ vfwTech . com" we could work out any details.

Return to posts index

Luke DuncanRe: Jibs / Cranes ? Anyone heard of PROAm ? or others ?
by on Feb 19, 2006 at 6:25:57 pm

yo Dave,
Glad to help. Check your inbox.
-LD

Return to posts index

Daniel SerranoRe: Jibs / Cranes ? Anyone heard of PROAm ? or others ?
by on Mar 5, 2006 at 8:44:59 am

I have the Proam DVC100, and it work out fine, just need lots of practice..

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]