FORUMS: list search recent posts

Azden dual system

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mark harveyAzden dual system
by on Feb 9, 2006 at 6:42:58 pm

I am looking at buying some wireless mics. I have looked at the sennhesier 100s and am now looking at the Azden 200 series. Have any of you any experience with the Azden 200 series ???

thanks

Mark

Return to posts index

Doug GrahamRe: Azden dual system
by on Feb 14, 2006 at 7:45:34 pm

I haven't used those new dual-channel rigs, but I'm happy with my Azden UDR 500.

The only potential drawback is that it isn't a "diversity" system, so you don't have the added protection from multipath cancellation of the radio signal that a diversity setup offers. On the other hand, the Sennheiser receivers aren't diversity either, so if you're happy with your Sennheiser, you should be happy with the Azden...and have two different audio channels as well.

Regards,
Doug Graham

Return to posts index

mark harveyRe: Azden dual system
by on Feb 14, 2006 at 11:39:20 pm

Thanks

Actually, I don't yet own any system. The Azdens say that they have 63 channels.....I figure that should be enough to avoid interference....what worries me is that replacment Lavs are only like 25$.....I'm thinking that the quality can't be all that good....

Mark

Return to posts index

Doug GrahamRe: Azden dual system
by on Feb 15, 2006 at 9:15:02 pm

$25 lavs can do a surprisingly fine job. But if you want something better, nobody's stopping you from buying a Sony ECM-44 and plugging it in to the transmitter.

Got to clear up something here, though:
Multiple frequencies is a good thing to avoid interference from other UHF sources, like church sound systems, police/fire radios, DTV stations, etc. However, having selectable freqs is NOT the same thing as having a diversity receiver.

A diversity receiver actually is TWO receivers, with separate antennas placed at slightly different locations. A comparator circuit constantly checks to see which receiver is getting the strongest signal, and uses that one.

What this does is to greatly reduce the chance of something called multipath distortion, or sometimes "RF dropout". The radio signal from the transmitter goes from the transmitter antenna to the receiver antenna...but it also goes in every other direction as well. The signal bounces off things that reflect RF, like steel beams, columns, chair frames, pipes...

These reflected signals ALSO arrive at the receiving antenna, but at slightly different times than the main signal. If the direct and reflected signals arrive out of phase, they tend to cancel each other out. This produces the aforementioned "RF dropout". It is this phenomenon that the diversity receiver was designed to counteract, since it's highly unlikely that signals will arrive at two separate antennas in such a way that the signal is cancelled out at BOTH locations simultaneously.

Regards,
Doug Graham

Return to posts index

mark harveyRe: Azden dual system
by on Feb 15, 2006 at 10:13:20 pm

Wow,
Thanks for the information Doug. I really didn't know about that. Sounds like diversity system could be pricey. At first I was looking around 700usd per system, but then I saw the Azden system for that price for 2. I would like the security of your diversity, but to be honest I'm kind of shopping a price :-)

Thanks again for the explanation.

Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]