FORUMS: list search recent posts

LCD video assist monitors

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
CamafeLCD video assist monitors
by on Feb 5, 2006 at 8:59:06 pm

HI all,

I need to move from my actual Sony 9" CRT PVM-9041 to an 7" LCD.
I'm going to do a large outdoor corporate video and have no power or batteries for the 9" CRT.

I have a Sony Z1 that comes with the litlle 3.5"

The expensive models from Marshall, Transvideo, Teletest, and Kroma are for my budget VERY EXPENSIVE.
Also most of them have around 400 x 234 pixel.

I can get a 7" VGA with 800x480 pixel for around $150.
It's a screen for car-audio, but with a nice resolution.

I've never wathched any of the PRO brands so my question is.

JUST FOR FOCUSING, do you think the expensive models will give me a better image than the cheap one.

I know it does NOT have BNC plugs, SDI input, a nice box, a battery adpter, etc. etc.

But it does have 4x more pixel resolution.

What can you tell me.

Return to posts index

Peter RalphRe: LCD video assist monitors
by on Feb 6, 2006 at 4:45:12 am

I use a nebtek which works great outside for SD work - some of the cheaper monitors are not bright enough to use outside. You would need to try that monitor before relying on it. Focus is more critical with HD, it depends how much time you have to set up shots, how much action there is in the frame, what focal length you are working at and wether you are concerned with separating the subject from BG with a shallow DOF. DOF considerations are more important with HD - both the wider aspect and the higher resolution can make the bg really distracting. I often use a laptop on corporate shoots - that way you have a preview and waveform/vectorscope in one.

Return to posts index

markp_92647Re: LCD video assist monitors
by on Feb 12, 2006 at 6:21:09 am

how about a laptop with serious magic DV rack 30 day free trail. A true NTSC monitor they claim, vector scopes and all the extras. Just need a mid grade laptop and one of those laptop sunshades, for about 30.00. I have had success with this product with SD video. Check for more info.

Return to posts index

CamafeRe: LCD video assist monitors
by on Feb 12, 2006 at 5:26:50 pm

I've used the trial of DVRack for 30 days.
I had like work with it.
But to have a laptop around on outdoors it's not very practical.

Before I buy, I will try the Redrock Revolution.
Probably they will do the same, with a few minor updates for the Revolution. Flip the image...

I'm tempted to go with Marsahll, but I have to think 10 times in spend that amount of money.
(I'm not ritch...)

Return to posts index

Doug GrahamRe: LCD video assist monitors
by on Feb 14, 2006 at 7:48:12 pm

Why not just get a power pack for your PVM? Could be as simple as a small car battery...

Doug Graham

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved