FORUMS: list search recent posts

miniDV playback deck?

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey StonerminiDV playback deck?
by on Jan 11, 2006 at 5:59:55 pm

i need a mini DV deck that i will use for playback only. only a couple hours use per week. just something to dump raw footage into my editing system. after all these years, i'm surprised that the best price i can find is the JCV miniDV/SVHS deck for $700.00.

anyone know any other options?? hate to sink that much $$ into something that won't be used much. i've considered buying an inexpensive miniDV camera to use as my playback deck but i don't think they're built for that kind of use, even in small doses.

Return to posts index

ThaxRe: miniDV playback deck?
by on Jan 11, 2006 at 6:59:52 pm

[David Rowan] "Get a used Mini DV camera from a pawn shop and just use it for your firewire deck. When it wears out just get another one."

I have several used home video-type camcorders that I have bought for under $125 each (that's a pretty good price!)

They work with the same quality as a deck.
And, I have yet to "wear one out" ;-)

If you buy a Panasonic or Sony brand home video camcorder, they will ALSO play DVCAM-recorded tapes perfectly.

Return to posts index

SkipnoRe: miniDV playback deck?
by on Jan 16, 2006 at 10:30:31 pm

A note on capturing from a cheap deck/camera: If you plan to batch capture tapes, make sure the MiniDV "deck" you plan to purchase has multiple playback speeds going forward and reverse. I've regrettably purchased a $200 Samsung MiniDV camcorder, and it only had one speed going both ways. My NLE (Final Cut Pro) was always going past the logged in/out points of my clips.

Return to posts index

Pat KingRe: miniDV playback deck?
by on Jan 19, 2006 at 3:48:05 pm

Cheap cameras are going to be a better buy than cheap decks because they sell like 10000 times more cameras than decks. I heard that the small sony decks use camera tape mechanisms anyway.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved