FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can you earn a decent wage by only doing photo/video montages?

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jd
by
on Dec 30, 2005 at 2:58:40 pm

Hi ,
This has been a great forum for me as I am at the hobby level of video editing and I am considering trying the video thin gon the side.. I have done several photo/video montages of weddings , vacations and children for family and friends.
I have yet to purchase a good camera and try to film a wedding.

Does anyone know if you can earn a decent wage by only doing photo/video montages and not filming weddings?

Thankyou,
jd

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: Can you earn a decent wage by only doing photo/video montages?
on Dec 30, 2005 at 3:18:39 pm

The question is can YOU?

How many people will hire you?

Can you afford to advertise and/or appear in trade shows?

Do you have access to enough music with "edit (sync) rights" to edit legally and make clients happy?

How much money do you need to make to consider it a "decent wage"?

And, most importantly, how GOOD are you at it?

Return to posts index

Doug Graham
on Dec 30, 2005 at 5:32:58 pm

I think most folks offer this as an additional service, not as the only thing they do. But that's no reason not to give it a shot.

Do some research...search using "photo montage", "video scrapbook", or "video photo album" here at the COW and on other event video forums. You'll get an idea of what folks are charging for this sort of product.

A lot depends on how much effort you plan to put into your projects. Some folks just put photos on a table and take ten seconds of video using a VHS camcorder. When all the photos have been recorded, the finished tape is handed to the customer. The price can be low, because so little time is required.

At the other end, some people take the original photos, scan them at high resolution, then touch them up in Photoshop to correct bad exposure, poor framing, and to remove dust, scratches, and age damage. Then they assemble them in After Effects or in a video editing program, adding motion, backgrounds, blurs, and many other effects, with the whole thing set to music. There may even be voiceover from the client, or video clips included. This sort of "Ken Burns style" documentary takes a lot more work, and the price is accordingly higher.

Regards,
Doug Graham

Return to posts index

jd
by
on Dec 30, 2005 at 6:46:37 pm

Thank you Matte and Doug!

Return to posts index

Tom
by
on Dec 31, 2005 at 1:57:17 pm

people don't want to pay huge bucks for the effort you put into it. They are happy with Walgreens or a business like this
http://www.fodeo.net/?m=pages&id=about

good luck

Tom

Return to posts index

Doug Lewis
on Dec 31, 2005 at 9:06:18 pm

Interesting how "Fodeo" handles music. This is from their FAQ section:

"Can I add music to my project?

Of course! We can add any song you like as long as you own the music. You can either bring it into the store or we can purchase it for you online. If you don

Return to posts index

Matte
on Dec 31, 2005 at 10:19:29 pm

[Doug Lewis] "We can add any song you like as long as you own the music."

Well, "owning" music is a rather LOOSE term used in this way.

In reality. when you buy a CD (etc.) you are not "buying" the music.

Simply "buying" any copyrighted work on LP, tape, CD, mp3 or other digital format, to "listen to" does NOT entitle anyone to use it as a soundtrack over which to edit video or pictures.

Oh, but wouldn't it be an easier business if it DID?

Return to posts index

Peter Ralph
on Dec 31, 2005 at 10:36:28 pm

Difficult to divine what this company may have been told by their attorneys. They could be ready to drop the practice as soon as they receive a 'cease and desist' from a copyright holder. might be a while coming....how many artists/rights owners are going to object? sony etc. realize that the best way to curb piracy is to make staying legal easier and cheaper. "Gotta pay extra to do that" won't help the cause.

Do Walgreens do this also? Their management would want more assurances as to the legality of the practice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]