FORUMS: list search recent posts

iPod Video uses....

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
SkipnoiPod Video uses....
by on Dec 27, 2005 at 6:51:39 pm

Hey all,

Just wanted to share my experience with my new X-mas toy, iPod Video...

Since I don't have a laptop, I'm able to copy my captured footage onto the 60GB iPod, complete with timecode overlays. This way, I could review the footage during my train commute and note key shots before I get in the editing room later that day (That's after my 9-5 office job). So far, I've imported 1 wedding (8hrs footage) into my iPod, and with Quicktime H.264 compression, the total file-size was only 3.2GB. Amazing quality.

This was, of course, after performing the following steps for 8hrs footage:

*Apply "Timecode Reader" filter to all footage in FCP (2 min)
*Export Quicktime movie with filter (3hrs)
*Encode Quicktime movies with Podner, and H.264 encoder (25hrs)
*Transfer encoded files to iPod (6min)

Here are my comp specs:

*PowerMac G5 Dual 2.5 (not dual-core)
*300GB Internal Drive
*FCP 4.5HD

Now, I've only had this iPod for about 2 days, so I'm wondering if all this work would benefit me in the long run. I'm only able to spend about 3-4 hrs a day at home on my wedding videos, since I have a 9-5 and spend an extra 2 hrs on train commute. I can, of course, find better encoders that could shorten the time, but maybe being immersed into this whole iPod-craze is blinding me from other avenues I can take to save time in the editing room....

Thanks for listening,

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: iPod Video uses....
by on Dec 27, 2005 at 8:14:17 pm

Well, it sounds like a nifty but practically useless trick until you can get the transcoding and what-all down to at least near real-time. You probably could have just edited the wedding in the time it took to transfer the raw footage to the ipod for review. I see a market for an ipod-add-on gizmo to do the transcoding on the fly from a DV input. That would be popular with consumers as well as producers. Also, a version of the coder box with a built-in video camera on it, to make the ipod an icamcorder.

Return to posts index

Peter RalphRe: iPod Video uses....
by on Dec 27, 2005 at 11:53:02 pm

useless for editing yes - but very useful for showing off your work. I haven't seen any speakers for it yet

Return to posts index

SkipnoRe: iPod Video uses....
by on Dec 28, 2005 at 6:28:36 pm

FYI, I was able to cut down the processing time down to 6 hours for a 2-step process. Overnight encoding...

I agree that it would benefit me showing clients my work. I can even output the content to a TV, with little or no visual compression artifacts.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved