FORUMS: list search recent posts

The bride WANTS cheesy effects

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
You Can Call Me AlThe bride WANTS cheesy effects
by on Dec 21, 2005 at 4:03:18 am

Hey everybody,
The bride WANTS cheesy wedding effects and I don't have much experience purposefully going for cheesy effects. Her main goal is to have a fun wedding DVD after editing. Her first marriage - his 3rd - they are in their 40's.

One example she gave me was a car that goes across the screen and the exhaust from the car then forms the letters of their names. (Groom likes cars).

Yup no kidding.
I am struggling as I have never had a couple want stuff like this. Anybody got any cheesy ideas I can do especially with the reception. I have already shot the wedding now I need to make it as fun/cheesy as possible.

I am going to add thought balloons to the ceremony - theirs was very informal but beyond that I am lost.
Thanks,
Al

Return to posts index

bipolardaveRe: The bride WANTS cheesy effects
by on Dec 21, 2005 at 4:37:46 am

Hmm....think maybe you could borrow from "Home Improvement"? That show used loads of cheesy effects.

Loose power saws eating away the titles?
Big engined cars pulling in the next scene?
Wedding vows swirling down the toilet?

Return to posts index

Doug GrahamRe: The bride WANTS cheesy effects
by on Dec 21, 2005 at 3:24:50 pm

The "Home Improvement" wipe can be either cheesy or not, depending on the images you choose.

The basic technique: A graphic image on a transparent background. When centered directly over the screen, the graphic object must completely cover the viewing area. In your NLE, place the graphic in a compositing track above the main video. Pan the graphic image across the viewing area. At the point where the graphic completely obscures the underlying video, cut to the next video clip. As the graphic completes its pan, the new clip is revealed.

Regards,
Doug Graham

Return to posts index

mark harveyRe: The bride WANTS cheesy effects
by on Dec 21, 2005 at 4:13:39 pm

Use the Spice rack from Pixelan, make sure all wipes are hard with big borders.
I am not downing the Spice rack, when used properly they are awesome, when used as dscribed they are not.
Check out Hollywood fx from Pinnacle (now Avid)...they have a piece of software with the very things that you are looking for...flying 3d wedding rings etc....really junky stuff, but hey if the client really wants it.

I would really try to create a few effects that are not too cheesy and show the bride these effects. Show them how a beautfully edited piece can enhance the experience and how cheese, is well, cheese...

Mark

Return to posts index

Peter RalphRe: The bride WANTS cheesy effects
by on Dec 21, 2005 at 4:27:19 pm

For huge numbers of push-button gimmicky transitions etc. check out Boris Red. Incredibly powerful tool for quick and dirty effects.

Return to posts index

Charlie KingRe: The bride WANTS cheesy effects
by on Dec 21, 2005 at 4:52:11 pm

Finally a use for the Kiki wipes, and no where to get them. Where is the original toaster when you need it?

Charlie

ProductionKing Video Services
Unmarked Door Productions
Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel
Las Vegas, Nevada

Return to posts index

You Can Call Me AlRe: The bride WANTS cheesy effects
by on Dec 22, 2005 at 1:49:37 am

Ok fellas those are some good ideas...
I am limited though to FCP3 and Photoshop Elements.
I believe I can pull off the Home Improv. effect after Doug's description.

I am also trying to go in the direction of cheesy story not just effects... like doing some slow mo of different people dancing to show who is the best dancer in slow mo etc.., I think my recept is my main focus for fun - what the heck can one do TO a ceremony without coming off sacriligeous.

Also the couples first date was at Starbucks so I am incorporating coffee whenever I can like when the Groom and 2 officiants came out they were standing left to right in perfect height order so I added
"Tall, Grande, Venti" below them - stuff like that... she said cheese.
Bride also mentioned Mystery Science Theater with the talking objects on screen. No problem coming up with the characters to use but what the heck do they say ? Everything I came up with sounds like I am making fun of a wedding and the couple.

I also videoed there rehearsal dinner where friends roasted and toasted them and I have that footage but not sure how to use it yet.

I also had the groom on wireless mic and talking before he came out to the altar- wide range of subjects with the groomsmen....
Their cake toppeer was a bride dragging a groom to the altar. I
should have noted that more!!!
I appreciate all the ideas.
Thanks,
Al

Return to posts index

MatteRe: The bride WANTS cheesy effects
by on Dec 22, 2005 at 2:05:48 pm

[You Can Call Me Al] "Everything I came up with sounds like I am making fun of a wedding and the couple."

That is the biggest problem with creating "fun" for someone ELSE.
Humor is very SUBJECTIVE.

You really should stay completely CLEAR of "editorializing" on your own.

What will happen is that someone (not necessarily the newlyweds) will get offended and the bride will say, "Well, AL, the video guy did that. I don't know WHY he did that to you."

Less is more...
Cut the show together, don't ADD anything embarrassing (when in DOUBT, leave it OUT), use some "unusual" wipes, maybe drop in a few thought balloons, but nothing derogatory.

In short:

If the WEDDING CEREMONY was FUNNY... just cut it the way it was presented (you can't go wrong there).

If the CEREMONY was NOT FUNNY... don't ADD "funny stuff" to it... you MIGHT give someone a chuckle... but you WILL be ALTERING someone else's event (chance of making a mistake... 80+%).

Your post's Subject Line ("The bride WANTS cheesy effects") indicates how ODD this request is... IMHO, be very careful.

OTOH, you can ignore all this and probably be a big success with the kind of people who find marriages and family events to be a joke.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: The bride WANTS cheesy effects
by on Dec 22, 2005 at 3:47:10 pm

I once came upon an animation application for pc that would probably fit in with a request like this. It lets you grab a head shot of someone off tape or a scanner, and attach it to an animated 3-d tiny body, much like a bobblehead doll. The program gave you a bunch of funny canned moves and bodies to work with, and let you make their mouths mnove while dialog files played. I think it was mostly meant for web pages, but also output avi files. Wish I could remember the name of it... sorry, but you'll just have to try some google-fu to locate it.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: The bride WANTS cheesy effects
by on Dec 22, 2005 at 4:22:39 pm

Found it!

Google 3-d plus the product names
"Crazy Talk" and "It's Me".

Return to posts index

You Can Call Me AlRe: The bride WANTS cheesy effects
by on Dec 22, 2005 at 6:25:07 pm

Thanks Mark.
I will take a look.

So far I have added animation to the intro and some thought balloons during the ceremony. It is goign pretty well. Once I embraced the cheese- ideas started to flow.

Al

Return to posts index

Peter RalphRe: The bride WANTS cheesy effects
by on Dec 22, 2005 at 4:34:13 pm

You are being hired for your style and discrimination. You need to find out what they have seen of your's. If they haven't seen anything then be very careful as Matte suggests.

It's not always effects themselves that are cheesy - its more often the how, when and where. A slow dissolve or fade to black can be cheesy used inappropropriately.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]