FORUMS: list search recent posts

iRiver purchase advice?????? user's advice appreciated

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wes GreeneiRiver purchase advice?????? user's advice appreciated
by on Dec 16, 2005 at 7:37:44 am

There is a fair bit written in this forum about how great the iRiver devices are for recording voices - basically acting as a cheap alternative to a wireless lapel mic.

Can poeple please give their recommendations as to which iRiver recorder does the job?
There is a huge range with various size memories and it's hard to know which one is uitable and if teh latest models offer any increased quality in voice recording.
Obviously I'd like to go for the cheapest possible that still gives me quality audio.

Once you have an iRiver what sort of lapel mic do you then need to purchase?

thanks in advance

Return to posts index

RobertbecRe: iRiver purchase advice?????? user's advice appreciated
by on Dec 17, 2005 at 3:33:51 am

i have the 795 and it's great and the lav mic is a azden EX503 works great

Return to posts index

Doug GrahamRe: iRiver purchase advice?????? user's advice appreciated
by on Dec 19, 2005 at 4:55:44 pm

Any of the iFP-700 or 800 series will work for you. The difference between the two model series is only cosmetic. The last two digits of the model number depend on the amount of memory. Even the smallest one gives you enough recording time to cover a ceremony, and the larger ones can be used all day and then some.

The newer T-10/T-30 models do NOT have an external microphone-in capability, so stay away from those. Pretty much any lavalier mic will work, but Giant Squid has one wired up especially for the iRiver that allows you to use mono recording mode, doubling your recording time.

Look for the 700 and 800 models at the iRiver site, http://www.iriveramerica.com or on eBay. If you can't buy one, M-Audio has a new recorder out that's a good bit better than the iRivers, but more expensive (around $400).

Regards,
Doug Graham

Return to posts index

Wes GreeneRe: iRiver purchase advice?????? user's advice appreciated
by on Dec 20, 2005 at 3:42:42 am

Thanks for the advice Robert and Doug, it's much appreciated.

I've got my eye on one on eBay which is an "iRiver IFP-890 256M" - looks like about AUS$135 is the standard price.

Be interested to hear what lapel mics you use Doug. also how you find the quality as compared to a wireless set-up.

cheers
wes

Return to posts index

markp_92647Re: iRiver purchase advice?????? user's advice appreciated
by on Dec 20, 2005 at 4:09:36 am

I use the iriver 899 512mb, it works fine, have not done any hard testing. I use the sennheiser me4 mic, probally over kill, but I had it. seems to work well. abit pricey. everybody seems to recomend the giant squid

http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/gs/gs-micline1.html

much less expensive, worth a try or ? maybe somebody ill give more suggestions for MICS

Return to posts index

by on Dec 20, 2005 at 7:55:32 pm

thanks for that

checked out the giant squid site but I'm a bit more confused

does the iRiver record in stereo??? With a stereo mic does that mean that I can effectively record two tracks down to the iRiver??

i.e. if I was to record a speech could one of the mics sit next to the microphone to capture clean speech then the other could sit somewhere low on thenlecturn to cpature the room noise/speech etc - and all this would be reorded in streeo to the iRiver???

am I tripping?

cheers

Return to posts index

Doug GrahamRe: iRiver purchase advice?????? user's advice appreciated
by on Dec 21, 2005 at 3:18:07 pm

The iRiver will record either in stereo or in mono. You get twice the recording time in mono. However, the iRiver has a quirk: with most devices, when you plug in a mono mic, the signal goes to the right channel of the device. With the iRiver, it looks for a mono signal on the LEFT channel. So if you plug a "normal" mono mic into it and set it to mono mode, it's looking for audio on the left channel and seeing none, while the mic is sending the signal to the unwatched channel. You can get around this problem by leaving the iRiver in stereo mode; you then get audio on the left channel, and a blank track on the right...but you lose all that extra recording time.

The Giant Squid mic has a connector that is set up the way the iRiver is; the audio goes to the left channel. So you can use mono mode with the GS mic. (You can also wire up an adapter to do this with any mic, of course).

Now, about stereo recording: With any two-channel device, you can treat the channels as a stereo pair, and record using a stereo mic (two mic elements built in) or two mono mics rigged to capture a stereo sound field (usually a pair of cardioid mics arranged in an "X" configuration). OR, you can think of the two channels as two independent mono tracks, and record signals from two different mics and locations (e.g., one mic on the reader's podium, and one at the altar rail.) You can then mix the tracks in post, or just use one or the other...whatever meets your needs.

Regards,
Doug Graham

Return to posts index

by on Dec 26, 2005 at 10:06:51 am

awesome info and advice
thanks Doug!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]