FORUMS: list search recent posts

Outdoor question

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug LewisOutdoor question
by on Dec 7, 2005 at 4:39:10 pm

I'm used to shooting indoor weddings or outdoor weddings, in the summer. I have a project that I'll be shooting on Saturday that I need some advice on. I have to shoot an outdoor live nativity scene. The temperature is going to around 22 degrees F. I'll be using my Sony VX2100. Any advice on camera prep or how the cold will effect the camera. I know that I will not want to go from the cold, back into my nice warm truck (humidity/dew issues), but any other foreseeable problems? Thanks for any advice.

Return to posts index

MatteRe: Outdoor question
by on Dec 7, 2005 at 5:55:29 pm

Temperature in the 20's (F) has never bothered any of my camcorders.
(Its cold, but not "THAT" cold.)

But being out in the "MINUS degrees" (F) could even affect the BATTERY (too-cold batteries tend to sag in power-output).
I keep all batteries warm until ready for actual use under bitterly-cold conditions.

You do have the right idea about AFTER the shoot returning to the warmth.

You should remove the tape from the camcorder BEFORE you bring the unit back inside to the humidity.

If you forget and leave the tape inside, turn OFF the camcorder and let it sit for about a half-hour or more so the tape won't wrap itself around the heads due to moisture.

Return to posts index

Peter RalphRe: Outdoor question
by on Dec 7, 2005 at 6:23:27 pm

Practice and plan for shooting with gloves. Rent a portabrace polarbear if you can - unbeatable protection for the camera and both your hands stay toasty. Some of the cam raincoats also have pouches for handwarmers.

Return to posts index

Doug GrahamRe: Outdoor question
by on Dec 7, 2005 at 7:40:42 pm

The only cold-weather problem I've had was while shooting on a ski slope one dark chilly morning. Temp was around 15-18 F. Camera was a Sony TRV-900. After a while, it started giving a real messed-up picture, just colored hash, and stopped responding to control inputs (zoom, iris, focus, etc). It wasn't the battery getting cold and giving out, it was the electronics that didn't like the temp. Cleared up again once the camera got a bit warmer.

As long as it only comes out for short periods, a fanny pack or camera bag slung INSIDE your parka may keep it warm enough.

Doug Graham

Return to posts index

Perry RichardsonRe: Outdoor question
by on Dec 19, 2005 at 12:23:24 am

Try using a little heating pad (handwarmer) for keeping your batteries warm. The cold will greatly diminish battery life. You should be able to pick these up anywhere that carries hunting supplies.

They work great for hands, too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved