FORUMS: list search recent posts

I'm looking for a better solution to record "I do's" during the ceremony

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
armogadan23
I'm looking for a better solution to record "I do's" during the ceremony
on Oct 20, 2005 at 7:18:44 pm

Hey there. A while ago I purchased a Sony MZ-N707 mini disk recorder, which I would place in the groom's tuxedo, with the clip-on microphone running to the top. Last time I tried that, I had a major technical problem occur.
As I was scrolling along recorded sounds, using the >> button, all of a sudden the mini disk recorder started to churn the disk and a few seconds later "Blank Disk" was flashing on display.
I ran out of warranty for this device and fixing it would be more expansive than purchasing a new "solution"
Which brings me to "solution" question. What is the digital recording media that you guys recommend/use yourselves? I'm looking for something with a permanent hard-drive built in, so that such reading errors would not occur.

Return to posts index

Doug Graham
Re: I'm looking for a better solution to record "I do's" during the ceremony
on Oct 20, 2005 at 7:52:53 pm

inexpensive: iRiver 799 or 899 model.
expensive, but more pro features: M-Audio Microtrack 24/96.

Both are solid state MP3 recorders. Zero moving parts!

Regards,
Doug Graham

Return to posts index

Doug Lewis
on Oct 20, 2005 at 11:34:38 pm

I have 3 i-river model 890s that I use. I use them on the groom and the minister. I also use the third one sometimes on the podium where speakers do their readings. These are small lightwight units that record very well. No problems in post, just line everything up and go, no drift. I highly recommend them.

Return to posts index

jerniganbrandon
on Oct 21, 2005 at 4:12:27 am

I've have a wireless mic system that I put on the groom and it seems to pick up ample coverage and I have the reciever mounted on one camera where it records audio directly to the tape. In post I sometimes combine the ambient sound from the other camera with the wireless audio. I'm thinking about getting me a recorder of some kind though. I run into a lot of problems when I need the audio from the final mix of the music if there is someone singing and it would be nice to have the minister's mic too - since 9 times out of 10 he will already have one.

Return to posts index

Fred Williams
on Oct 30, 2005 at 3:42:33 pm

Why not take a feed from the house (church) into one of the cameras or a separate recorder?

Return to posts index

Kennon Shain
on Nov 6, 2005 at 12:32:25 am

I was actually going to ask a similar question-but you beat me to it!

I have access to a Samson wireless mic system, which is great, but its a lot to worry about on my own. The few times I've used it, it seemed a bit much to worry about that AND the video. I can't afford an assistant currently, so I was thinking about buying a powerful shotgun mic instead.

The Sennheiser MKE300, or the Rode VideoMic, both look like high-quality on-camera shotguns. Am I insane for thinking this? Is a powerful shotgun going to do the job? I know a wireless system is ideal, but a good on-board shotgun mic cuts down on a lot of variables-

What do you guys think?

Thanks-

Ken

PowerMac G4 (Quicksilver)
Dual 1 GHZ
1.5 gig RAM
OSX 10.3.5
Final Cut HD

Return to posts index

Steve Nichols
on Apr 2, 2006 at 5:37:55 am

The logistics of most weddings require any large (shotgun) mic to be placed too far away from the subjects. That produces poor sound quality and allows more ambient noise to interfere with the results. Wireless mics on the groom and minister have worked great for us.

Steve

Return to posts index

Fuddam
on Apr 11, 2006 at 7:44:18 am

would also say, IMHO, that the MKE300 isn't good enough for that situation. Don't know the Rode.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]