FORUMS: list search recent posts

Deadline for customer approval?

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Whitewater
Deadline for customer approval?
on Oct 4, 2005 at 7:55:19 pm

Was wondering if any of you have specific policies for customers who do not pay for their videos within a set amount of time. As we all know these videos take up quite a bit of hard drive space, and as time goes on that space needs to be reused for other projects.

So I guess my question is, how long should one be willing to store someone's video, when they aren't in a hurry to pay for it.

Thanks,
Whitewater

(In the case in question, payments have been made on the video as we do a deposit policy. In fact the amount left owed in this case is actually a very small amount, it's just that now they don't want to seem to pay it.)

Return to posts index

John
Re: Deadline for customer approval?
by
on Oct 4, 2005 at 9:20:49 pm

Drive space is always a premium and it always will be no matter how much you have. I would make sure that the project is backed up and then I would delete all media. It is not your responsibility to be the clients storage facility, unless you are charging them for storage. Look at it this way, if your client wants the project again, they'll have to pay you what is owed and then I would charge them for the reload as well. Time is money.

John

Return to posts index

Douglas Villalba
on Oct 5, 2005 at 12:26:53 am

First of all for that same reason I have been getting paid in full at least 15 days before the event for the last 25 years.
You know that you are not getting any referrals from them. Most likely they have been telling everyone that you haven't finish their video and that is way they don't have it.
Take it off the compurer as WhiteWater said and charge them for re-mounting it. That is if they ever come back.
I have wedding videos waiting for years missing only pics to be finished(paid in full). I don't mount anything unless I have everything I need. Not only that but I start working on it in the order I received the material not by the event day.

Douglas Villalba
http://www.dvtvproductions.com
dvillalba@dvtvproductions.com

Return to posts index

Peter Ralph
on Oct 5, 2005 at 1:43:40 pm

Be as accomodating towards the client as you possibly can, especially when you don't know what personal circumstrances they are in.

Most of your future business will come from your current client base. Read Seth Godin's seminal "Permission Marketing".

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 5, 2005 at 4:55:04 pm

I would master it off as-is to a DVD or tape, store that in a sealed palstic box with the source tapes, then wipe the drives.

And update the contract language so things are clearer from here on out. State a number of days past the payment due date after which you are no longer responsible for storage of their media.

Return to posts index

Whitewater
on Oct 5, 2005 at 6:01:36 pm

I guess that's the question in and of itself...how many days? How long do you give someone as a general rule? I've only experienced one other situation like this and it was different because the client stayed in touch through the process, but I've not heard from this client in some time.

What is a fair amount of time for us to store something before we finally have to move it off....because it looks like we all agree that it's got to go, just how long before you finally do it?

Return to posts index

Thax
by
on Oct 5, 2005 at 9:24:23 pm

Exactly 12 days, 9 hours and 26 minutes.

How's that?

Return to posts index

Peter Ralph
on Oct 6, 2005 at 1:21:14 am

I double checked Thax's numbers using log tables - they look good

Return to posts index

Whitewater
on Oct 6, 2005 at 6:23:57 pm

I'm so relieved to know that I'm not the only wiseass in the industry, I was beginning to think I was without any true peers!!

I'll be sure to set the egg timer after I finish the next video...

Return to posts index

Thax
by
on Oct 7, 2005 at 11:27:51 am

[Whitewater] "I'm so relieved to know that I'm not the only wiseass in the industry"

Happy you took this in the spirit intended!

The truth is, if you are trying to "make it" in this segment of the biz, it makes sense to "build-in" a mechanism for dealing with the general public who generally have no concept of what YOU are dealing with to get their job completed.

One method is X% up-front (some would argue x=100).
Another is, with the low cost of HD these days, dedicating a separate HD for each client (build-in the cost).

There are times when my HD's are already brimming and new projects are in the pipeline... the pressure is on.
Other times, files could sit for months with no "new neighbors" trying to squeeze in.

Questions that involve "how much" and "how long" always depend on each individual's circumstances.

You now have experienced the length of "waiting" that makes YOU feel the burn.
Next time, you can prepare for this and adjust your "up-front" client requirements and/or new HD real estate.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]