FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need some advice on Producing/Directing Concert

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James ReidenbaughNeed some advice on Producing/Directing Concert
by on Sep 27, 2005 at 2:55:26 pm

Hello to all,

I have been asked to produce and direct the videography for a concert next spring. It will be a full symphony orchestra, chorus, etc

Return to posts index

Charlie KingRe: Need some advice on Producing/Directing Concert
by on Sep 27, 2005 at 4:14:02 pm

I had a similar experience approximately 30 years ago. I made all orchestra rehearsals, was unable to make choir rehearsals since they were from out of town. I blocked every camera shot. Prepared an AD to help send cameras to their respective shots as they were released from prior shot. Everything worked out very well except one thing.

The first time I had an opportunity to see the venue was the night before the concert. The setup in the venue showed me that I was unable to get some shots of certain sections with the camera I had blocked, so I spent the entire night before the concert reblocking (at home) therefore I was one very tired man when I went into the concert. I had isolated some cameras for cut-ins during editing, as a safety measure, some worked some didn't. The wide shot was a godsend, and I used some wide shots that weren't necessarily from the section being played at the time. The only person that caught that was the orchestra/choir director.

The only thing I can say is whatever you charge for your services probably won't be enough for the work you will be putting into it, but the experience you will receive will be priceless.

Charlie

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: Need some advice on Producing/Directing Concert
by on Sep 27, 2005 at 5:32:47 pm

You should start learning what all of the different instruments are called AND make sure the camera-people you select know them too! It's that second part that is easy to forget sometimes.

Return to posts index

Dave StenzRe: Need some advice on Producing/Directing Concert
by on Sep 28, 2005 at 11:19:56 am

Do you know anyone who reads music? If so, getting a hold of some of the musical scores is a great way to plan your shot list. You'll know when a specific soloist and/or section of instruments will be "featured."

HTH,
Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]