FORUMS: list search recent posts

lights

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
yeaknbake
lights
on Sep 17, 2005 at 3:36:29 am

what do you guys think are some good on camera lights?

Return to posts index

Doug Graham
Re: lights
on Sep 18, 2005 at 7:22:48 pm

Depends a bit on your camera. If it's a small handheld, you'll want a smallish light.
The Sony camcorders do well with the Sony 10/20 watt light, which will run off the camera battery if you use the high capacity ones.

If you don't mind wearing a battery belt, or one of those over-the-shoulder pouches, the NRG Microlux is good on the smaller cameras.

If your camera's not so great in low light and you want more oomph, the NRG Varalux Pro is nice. It has a built-in dimmer. It'll handle up to 50 watt lamps with no trouble. The Frezzi mini-fill is also popular.

If you have a professional camcorder with an Anton Bauer battery mount system, the Anton Bauer Ultralite II is an excellent choice. It can run off the camera's battery and eliminate all that cabling.

Whatever light you choose, you'll probably want to add extra diffusion to soften it. A sheet or two of Roscor Tuf-Spun clipped to the light with a paper clamp will work, or you can buy a little soft box for it.

Regards,
Doug Graham

Return to posts index

yeaknbake
on Sep 18, 2005 at 11:56:37 pm

thanks, I ended up jumping the gun and buying a lowell i-light/battery belt, with a diffusion filter. It's pretty heavy on my sony-vx2100 but it'll work.

I would also like to buy a mini-dv tape deck so I don't wear out my camera importing footage. Any advice on finding a relitivley affordable tape deck?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 19, 2005 at 7:11:22 am

The Sony DSR-11 is probably the most bang for the buck. It's an entry level professional deck and there's a ton of them out there doing their duties.

- Don

Return to posts index

yeaknbake
on Sep 19, 2005 at 8:20:34 am

It looks nice. Are they all around that price?

Return to posts index

Doug Graham
on Sep 19, 2005 at 1:36:36 pm

Pretty much. (By the way, I'd also recommend it as a solid and reliable choice).

Your other choices are:

-Panasonic AG-DV2500. Panasonic's competing model.

- a JVC consumer dual-well DV/SVHS deck. I haven't used one, but I have seen several posts from people who've had problems.

- a professional level JVC DV deck. These seem to be a bit more reliable than the JVC consumer decks.

- a used, Japanese consumer market Sony dual-well DV/VHS deck. Has to be used, because Sony stopped making them. I have a WV-DR-9, and I like it a lot. Be darn sure you get a translation of the manual, and a 100 volt wall wart power converter.

- A cheap DV camcorder dedicated to deck duty. This is the least expensive, plus you now have another camera for an emergency backup...but the transport mechanism is slower and more fragile, and the playback electronics may not be as sophisticated.

Regards,
Doug Graham

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]