I want to buy a fish eye lens and was told Century is good
I see 2 that are possibilities

one is the Century precision Optics DS-55WA-58 0.55x Reversible wide
angle $269.95 at B&H in NY

the 2nd is Century Precision Optics

Return to posts index

MatteRe: need opnions on Century Fisheye lens
by on Sep 16, 2005 at 11:38:20 am

You said you wanted a FISH-EYE so only the second lens you listed is considered a "fish-eye".

It brings in a very wide field-of-view with a lot of "bulging" distortion when you approach an object with the camera.
The distortion is also very apparent when you pan the shot or subjects move across a static shot.
It would be considered a "special effects" lens... very obvious as an "effected" shot.

The first lens you listed is NOT considered a true "fish-eye" but rather a "wide-angle" (WA) lens adapter.
If you have the PD170, it comes STANDARD with a very similar Sony WA lens adapter, so you already know what this lens will do.
It increases the field-of-view by a much lesser amount and under most normal shooting conditions, the shot does not look to the viewer as "affected" or distorted. It is a very handy general shooting item.

Century Optics lenses are well-respected for this segment of the production business.
They have greater precision than lower cost lenses.

OTOH, there are many low-cost "trick" lenses that, if you just want them for a few "EFX shots" and aren't too concerned with absolute "top quality", will work pretty well.
I have one of the following (paste the link in your browser, its for example only) that I use every few months or so for a VERY wide pan or a Fish-eye CU effect.
Works great considering the bargain price.

Return to posts index

MatteRe: need opnions on Century Fisheye lens
by on Sep 16, 2005 at 11:45:38 am

Forgot to paste in the LINK to the little lens adapter I was describing.

Again, this is just to show you an example. I have no affiliation with the eBay lister.
(But the lister DOES have over 76 Thousand (!) feedback replies.)

You'll need to copy/paste the link into your browser address window.

Return to posts index

Mark Von LankenRe: need opnions on Century Fisheye lens
by on Sep 19, 2005 at 4:09:57 pm

Hi Danny,

Matte is right. The Century Optics is very good quality and the .55 isn't really a fish eye.

I had a hard time justifying $800 for a specialty lens, so I bought the Raynox XL-3000 Pro. It's $99 at B&H. It's a .3 semi-fish eye. I like the XL model because it comes on and off the lens much quicker than the screw on model.

If you compare the Raynox next to the CO I'm sure there must be a quality difference, but is there a $700 difference? That's your decision.

I really love my Raynox XL-3000 Pro. I use it at every wedding. Here's a sample that has some Raynox shots mixed throughout the clip.

All My Best,
Mark Von Lanken
Picture This Productions, Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved