FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cameras for weddings

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
RodneyR
Cameras for weddings
on Sep 9, 2005 at 4:13:54 pm

Hi All

I currently own VX2100 which I am happy with but I am looking to get a second camera. I would like the ability to shoot at 24p and native 16:9.

I have been looking at the XL2 but don't like the viewfinder since it can't be flipped to the eye side I require. However, this is something that I could live with.

Any experiences or recommedations you can share would be great.

Cheers
--Rodney--

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: Cameras for weddings
on Sep 9, 2005 at 5:20:28 pm

I have a question...

You say this would be a "2nd camera" so does that mean you'd be shooting weddings with this new camera and the 2100 at the same time?

If that's the case, how are you going to use the 24p footage? I mean, I assume you'll shoot in the non-advanced mode so that your video is actually 29.97 with the 24 fps "look" so that it will mix with the other camera's footage, but how are you planning to mix that (widescreen and 24p) "look" with the different looking video of the 2100?

I'm just curious about what your plan will be for that. Regardless, my advice for what you want would probably be a Panasonic DVX-100A with an anamorphic lens on it OR the Panasonic AG-HVX200. (Even though that one's able to record HD on memory chips you could simply use it as a DV-only camera for now and worry about that stuff later. I'm ASSUMING it can do 24p to tape, but I'm not positive. Best to check out the P2 forum for info on that.)

Have you used a camera like that with 24p ability? I have not myself, but I understand that it takes a bit more effort in terms of lighting and camera-movement-steadiness. For those reasons I've never thought much about using one for event-video, but I'm sure some people do.

Is there anyone here who has used the 100A for event-shooting? I know the ways it's different, but I'd love to hear about those differences as it relates to ENG shooting.

Return to posts index

RodneyR
on Sep 9, 2005 at 11:58:02 pm

Thanks for the reply. You're right in assuming what you did. I really plan to use this camera independently of the 2100 but you make excellent points should I need a two camera shoot.

I will check out the other two cameras you recommended as well.

Cheers
--Rodney--

Return to posts index

tom
by
on Sep 10, 2005 at 2:32:21 pm

The new Panasonic is not even out yet

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
on Sep 10, 2005 at 3:42:08 pm

Right, good point. It will probably be November or December before you could get one. I should have mentioned that, but I thought you should look at it since I usually spend 2 or 3 months thinking about it before I buy a new camera.

Return to posts index

David Rennie
on Sep 14, 2005 at 4:32:33 am

Yes shooting in 24p does require a steady hand (more so than 30i), and panning is some that requires a different "touch" as well. Figure adding several seconds to the "pan" when comparing to shooting 30i. As far as lighting is concerned I have not noticed a difference.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]