FORUMS: list search recent posts

Connecting a TV

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kennon ShainConnecting a TV
by on Aug 30, 2005 at 3:07:44 am

Ok-here's a really stupid question-but one I've never had to deal with before because I connect to my monitor through my mini-DV/S-VHS deck:

Another project I'm working on is through an Avid editing system, with no deck. To connect a regular TV, not a traditional computer monitor, what do I do? It doesn't have any video connectors-just USB and Firewire. Are there RCA adapters?

I realize this is probably ridiculously simple, but I've honestly never had to deal with it. I just connect through firewire to my deck, and RCA to my monitor.

Thanks-

Kennon Shain

PowerMac G4 (Quicksilver)
Dual 1 GHZ
1.5 gig RAM
OSX 10.3.5
Final Cut HD

Return to posts index

David Chandler-GickRe: Connecting a TV
by on Aug 30, 2005 at 1:30:08 pm

"Hello? Mr. Obvious?"
"Yes."
"Long time listener. First time caller"

(From the Bob & Tom Morning Show)(Google it)

:-)

Why not simply use your Mini-DV/S-VHS deck via FW?

-DJ

David Chandler-Gick

DavidChandler-Gick.com

Event Video COW Moderator

Contributing Editor eventDV magazine

Return to posts index

Kennon ShainRe: Connecting a TV
by on Aug 30, 2005 at 5:20:02 pm

I knew I was going to have to deal with some "stupid question" comments- :-)

But using my deck would be a huge pain in the ass. I'm editing it at his house, and I need the deck for my system, so I'd have to bring it with me every time. Not to mention that my desk is a complete mess, so I literally have piles of stuff on top of the deck. Also, he wants to be able to show it on the TV to other people when I'm not there.

I guess thats the last resort-but there must be a simpler way, right?

Ken

Dual 1 GHZ
1.5 gig RAM
OSX 10.3.5
Final Cut HD

Return to posts index

Doug GrahamRe: Connecting a TV
by on Aug 30, 2005 at 8:33:39 pm

Unless your video display card has a video output jack, and can output a video window, rather than simply your whole computer screen, there really isn't a better way. I'd use your DV camcorder instead of lugging a big deck around, but you do need some sort of device to convert the digital ones and zeroes to an analog signal; there isn't an adapter cable that will perform that function.

Regards,
Doug Graham

Return to posts index

MatteRe: Connecting a TV
by on Aug 30, 2005 at 6:22:09 pm

[Kennon Shain] "Another project I'm working on is through an Avid editing system, with no deck. To connect a regular TV, not a traditional computer monitor, what do I do? It doesn't have any video connectors-just USB and Firewire. Are there RCA adapters?"

I have to assume "Avid DV" of some sort (not Media Composer which DOES have video/audio outputs).

Monitoring "Avid DV" on an external video monitor is as easy as:
Computer > Camcorder > Monitor.

Here's how to connect it, step-by-step:

1. "Quit" the "Avid DV" program.

2. Connect any DV camcorder to the computer via FireWire.

3. Hook any standard monitor or TV (with a video input) to the video outputs on your DV camcorder.
You can use the standard (usually colored yellow) RCA video cable or the "S-video" output from the camcorder if the monitor has one of those kind of inputs.

You should ALSO hook up the AUDIO outputs from the camcorder to the same monitor, or any "amplified speakers" so you can monitor the "Avid DV" audio along with the video.

4. Turn ON the camcorder. Switch it to the VCR (player) mode, but don't put a tape in it (unless you intend to record from "Avid DV" to a DV tape.)

5. Turn ON the Video Monitor and set to view the "Video Input".

6. Open "Avid DV" on the computer.

7. In "Avid DV", make sure to select to view thru an external monitor.

You should now see the output of "Avid DV" on the camcorder's viewfinder screen AND the external monitor.

You will also hear "Avid DV"'s audio from the speakers that you connected to the camcorder.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Connecting a TV
by on Aug 30, 2005 at 11:17:56 pm

Go to Best Buy, radio shack, or similar.

Buy an RF modulator for between 15 and 30 dollars

Video or s-video from computer to RF Mod

RF mod to TV antenna, select channel 3 or 4.

This will look like crud, but will work.

Return to posts index

markp_92647Re: Connecting a TV
by on Aug 31, 2005 at 4:44:46 am

canopus should also work, pick up a canopus 100 for $150 and Matts
directions will accomplish the results, and you can sell the box later, or use it to encode analog to digital

Return to posts index

by on Aug 31, 2005 at 8:03:27 pm

Thanks for the info guys-

I'd rather not spend any money on a canobus device, so I'll probably opt for the camera. Although if this guy wants to show other people the movie on the TV bad enough, maybe he'll spend the cash. It is only a Avid DV system, but I'm going to check the inputs on the back of the computer again.

This guy says he had someone else hook a TV directly to the computer before, but didn't know how. I didn't think I saw any S-Video inputs-but I'll check again. If there is a S-Video input, what would the audio plug into?

Thanks-

Ken

Dual 1 GHZ
1.5 gig RAM
OSX 10.3.5
Final Cut HD

Return to posts index

by on Aug 31, 2005 at 9:01:10 pm

[Kennon Shain] "I didn't think I saw any S-Video inputs-but I'll check again. If there is a S-Video input, what would the audio plug into?"

The quality coming from the Avid DV edit system sent to the S-Video outs (if there are any) will be VERY poor.
(Not suitable for even low-quality viewing.)
These editors are not designed to output video from the computer, but via a FW camcorder, deck, or DV converter.
The better solution under these conditions is to simply view the smaller image IN the Avid software right on the computer screen.

But to answer your audio connection question... in general, there is usually a headphone or external speaker output connection on most computers.
Hook that to any amplified speaker system or to an audio amp and speakers.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Connecting a TV
by on Aug 31, 2005 at 9:24:54 pm

Well for 100 bucks or more you can attach a scan converter between the coputer's VGA output and the computer monitor, or skip the computer monitor all together and the scan converter will output a Video signal via composite RCA and sometimes also S-video out.

Scan converter liek the averkey imicro is 99 bucks, but you can pay way more, in general, you get better quality the more you pay, but it's not a strictly linear relationship. When you start paying around $300 and more for the scan converter, then it's a coin toss in quality between that and the Canopus ADVC 100 for example, but the Canopus has the additional advantage of being a2-way device good for bringing analog stuff *into* the computer as well as making a analog-out spigot for your VHS dubs, TV monitor, or whatever.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 1, 2005 at 11:11:50 am

[Mark Suszko] "Well for 100 bucks or more you can attach a scan converter between the coputer's VGA output and the computer monitor,"

This does not address the bad quality that the computer image will output.
These NLE's are not designed to be viewed via the computer monitor for QUALITY.

The image of the timeline on the computer screen is (by design) low resolution.
If that image is converted and shown on a standard video monitor, it will appear even worse.

Just hook up any DV camcorder with FireWire and the image will look great.
Borrow a camcorder and will cost nothing.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 2, 2005 at 8:18:26 pm

In terms of the audio-can't you hook up the audio to the TV? Or does it have to come out of the speakers hooked into the computer-then just the video comes out of the TV?

I guess a camera is the way to go. I'm just curious how this other guy hooked the TV up directly. I guess the quality wasn't that bad-but then again, I need to see it to know for sure.

Yeah, I think a scan converter might not be worth it-especially if the quality will be really bad. I don't mind just viewing it through the tiny window in the program-but my client, along with people he wants to show it to, really need a bigger sized viewing area to get the full effect (and to keep them interested). I'm perfectly happy without it-although it is nice to have.

Thanks again-

Ken

Dual 1 GHZ
1.5 gig RAM
OSX 10.3.5
Final Cut HD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]