FORUMS: list search recent posts

$$$ for Irivers???

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kat
$$$ for Irivers???
by
on Aug 26, 2005 at 11:29:11 am

I'm so excited, just got paid for my first big gig and I want to buy an Iriver. I'm looking at all of you who have 4 or more! Where are you getting the money for these? Is there a special website that sells them for cheap that I need to know about?

Return to posts index

Doug Graham
Re: $$$ for Irivers???
on Aug 26, 2005 at 3:46:41 pm

Geez, how cheap do you want 'em?

Wireless mic........$500 and up
Minidisc recorder...$200 and up
iRiver model 795....$100-$139

But better act fast. The iRiver models 7xx and 8xx have external mic inputs. But iRiver has discontinued these models in favor of the T10/T30 series, which do NOT accept an external microphone.

If anyone knows of another brand of MP3 device that DOES have a mic input, please let me know. (The only other ones I know of are Edirol, whose unit is too big and bulky, and M-Audio, whose unit isn't out yet).

Regards,
Doug Graham

Return to posts index

Kat
by
on Aug 26, 2005 at 8:28:50 pm

Doug,:)
Im a college girl, I need to eat!
Thanks,
Kat

Return to posts index

David Rennie
on Aug 26, 2005 at 11:54:03 pm

wow I had not heard they were stopping production on these models. pretty stupid if you ask me. seems to me that most videographers are using these now. I personally have three. I might buy a fourth while I can just to have a backup.

Return to posts index

David Rennie
on Aug 27, 2005 at 12:02:05 am

Doug in my panic I went to the iRiver site. Do you have any experience with the 990 model? I did not see how much it weighs on the site, it does not look much bigger than a MD recorder.

Return to posts index

Doug Graham
on Aug 27, 2005 at 2:08:48 pm

I have the 795 model, and haven't even seen the 900 series, so I won't comment.

Anyone else?

Regards,
Doug Graham

Return to posts index

ivey
by
on Sep 20, 2005 at 2:08:02 am

Check Ebay.

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Aug 28, 2005 at 4:41:36 am

Kat,

Unless you intend on making money by renting out the Iriver don't waste your money on electronic toys.

If you are a freelancer you need to learn how to save up your money so you can reinvest in your business with equipment and products that will help build your business and increase income in the long run.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

Doug Graham
on Aug 28, 2005 at 10:34:10 pm

Sorry, Tony...but the iRiver MP3 recorders have found a serious place with event videographers. Their audio quality isn't a match for MiniDisc, or even for a good wireless...but it's adequate for this use, and the cost can't be beat.

This is an "electronic toy" the same way the VX-2100 is a "toy"...not suitable for some uses, but just the ticket in its own niche.

Regards,
Doug Graham

Return to posts index

David Rennie
on Aug 29, 2005 at 3:04:16 pm

I couldn't agree with Doug more. The application of an iRiver as a backup or second, third, fourth audio source is great. They are very affordable and produce recorded audio which is more than acceptable for wedding and event applications.

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Sep 3, 2005 at 1:19:35 pm

Doug,

I am aware the Iriver is suitable for a backup recording. I was on a shoot recently where I played with the device in which the soundman was using it as a backup to the audio being recorded onto an F900 HDCAM camcorder.

My comments were directed toward investing in equipment with the principal of R.O.I (return on investment) not just for the sake of having a cool electronic toy.

As long as the device can generate income and pay for itself in the long run than any device professional or consumer is a good investment.

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

velma
on Sep 6, 2005 at 1:23:52 am

I use the Sennheiser Evolution 100 wireless system and also use iRivers. I can tell absolutely NO difference in the quality of the two when captured in FCP. I've put the wireless on the groom and the iRiver on the officiant or reader, and they are both terrific quality. Once, I put the iRiver on the groom. So I use my iRivers both as back up and as main sources.

Now, I supposed in some venues, neither the Sennheiser wireless nor the iRiver would be of good enough quality. But for standard wedding and event recording, the iRiver is not just acceptable, but it is top quality. It just happens to also be a cute little electronic toy! :)

velma

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]