FORUMS: list search recent posts

transfering 8mm to dvd

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lotus76
transfering 8mm to dvd
on Aug 20, 2005 at 2:27:51 pm

hi everyone,

I like to transfer an 8 mm footage on to dvd and I like to do this cheaply..
Does anyone give me advice?
Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Doug Graham
Re: transfering 8mm to dvd
on Aug 21, 2005 at 7:43:02 pm

First of all, let's clarify whether you are talking about 8mm videotape, or Super8 movie film.

Regards,
Doug Graham

Return to posts index

Ralph Hajik
on Aug 22, 2005 at 6:20:19 am

Hi All,

That's a good question. How do you take super 8 silent movie tape and convert or apply it to DVD. I'm using Vegas 6 and DVD3 if that helps. What tape decks or equipment do you need for that?

Thanks,
Ralph

Return to posts index

Doug Graham
on Aug 22, 2005 at 12:45:01 pm

You gotta have a projector. If you can find one with variable speed, all the better. It's nice if your camcorder has a "clear scan" shutter tweak setting, too.

Both these items are used to reduce the strobing effect that you can get when 24 fps film is recorded by a 29.97 fps camera. (You might try 24 fps if your camcorder supports it; I haven't heard from anyone who's tried this, though).

The simplest setup is to have the camcorder and projector side by side. Project the film image on a clean white sheet of paper (letter size is fine; you don't need to blow the picture up big).

A much better way involves the use of a telecine. Hollywood's are VERY expensive, but there's a fellow in Texas who makes a series of affordable ones: try http://www.moviestuff.tv/8mm_telecine.html

Once the film's been transferred to DV tape (or dumped straight to disk using your camera's pass-through feature), you can edit, enhance, add music and narration, and author to DVD just like any other video.

Regards,
Doug Graham

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]