FORUMS: list search recent posts

Glidecam Smooth Shooter Results

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
GeorgiaGlidecam Smooth Shooter Results
by on Aug 16, 2005 at 2:52:27 am

Hi Everyone

I shot a wedding the other day and really broke in my new Glidecam Smooth Shooter system. I must say, I was very impressed with how smooth and professional the video turned out. I'm very happy with the purchase.

Anyhow, I did have one problem. I kept feeling like I needed another extension on the arm to shoot higher. I'm only 5'5", so the added height would really help. Anyone know of an "add on" extender arm for the Smooth Shooter?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

David RennieRe: Glidecam Smooth Shooter Results
by on Aug 16, 2005 at 3:25:54 pm

okay I gotta ask, don't you find that degree of hardware intrusive? I mean with that setup its gotta be hard to "blend in". maybe its just me but that would seem very out of place at a wedding to most guest and result in a bunch of head turning.

Return to posts index

GeorgiaRe: Glidecam Smooth Shooter Results
by on Aug 16, 2005 at 4:53:51 pm

To be honest, yes, it's obtrusive. It's definitely something to consult your bride and groom about before the wedding takes place. This was the first wedding I've shot with it, and I talked to the bride and groom about it beforehand. They were willing to accept the more obtrusive look for smoother video (I showed them samples). It's another great option to show your clients.

Return to posts index

George CreasmanRe: Glidecam Smooth Shooter Results
by on Aug 18, 2005 at 7:42:44 pm

I'd like to hear more details, I just ordered a smooth shooter (with glidecam 4000) ...are you using a monitor on the lower sled, or a flip out monitor on your camera? Which camera and GC unit did you use?

Return to posts index

GeorgiaRe: Glidecam Smooth Shooter Results
by on Aug 24, 2005 at 3:24:07 pm

I'm just using my monitor on my camera for now. The camera that I use is a Panasonic DVX100. I used my tripod quick release plate to attach the Glidecam 4000 so I could quickly transfer from the Glidecam to my tripod or handheld. However, you still have to do a bit of work to get the camera off the glidecam and back again.

I've decided to sell my Smooth Shooter and just keep the Glidecam. The Smooth Shooter is nice for planned out situations, but it's just not versatile enough for my run-and-gun event situations. Mostly because it doesn't go low enough or extend high enough for me. Do you know of an extender arm by chance?

Return to posts index

Peter RalphRe: Glidecam Smooth Shooter Results
by on Aug 24, 2005 at 3:44:31 pm

Yes - steadicam rigs are specialized pieces of equipment. If you have 2 or 3 shooters maybe one could use a steadicam part of the time but I can't see using one for the typical wedding, especially now that the novelty of the floating shot has worn off. And it has to be very distracting for the guests.

For low shots some glidecam-type units have a cradle so you can use them upside down. I've even just held a monopod upside down and flipped the image in post. High shots are problematic because you have to hold the unit at its pivot point to get the benefit. A monopod might work better.

I shot with a guy last week who had mounted his pd150 on a small breadboard with the quickrelease plate mounted underneath. Worked very well for steadying handheld shots and keeping the frame level - very versatile and very cheap. Plexiglass would be even better so that you could see the lcd from below for high shots.

Return to posts index

George CreasmanRe: Glidecam Smooth Shooter Results
by on Aug 24, 2005 at 8:47:58 pm

I doubt I will use my smooth shooter for weddings, maybe once in a while, I do mostly musical, corporate and industrial type videos, all of which usually require multiple takes of each scene...I can't imagine using the GC4000 for very long (maybe 5-10 minutes) without the smooth shooter, my arm would fall off ( I am an old guy)! I have put in several hours of practice with my smooth shooter and am starting to see good results....overall it seems easier to use the GC4000 without the vest, but the weight and fatigue factors are a killer, and all the seasoned user agree on one thing to get good results..."just keep practicing"..."and practicing"..."and practicing"
Georgia you may want to consider keeping the vest and the arm unless you don't plan on doing anything but weddings in the future, it could give you a competetive edge on some jobs. As far as an extender bar, I don't think GC offers one, but I don't think it would be too hard to make a longer bar to go inside the GC handle...within reason of course, no more than a foot.
I also hope the novelty of the moving camera doesn't become too "old hat", I see it as just another tool like a dolly or a crane, and I certainly don't plan to overuse it in anything I shoot. To me it is juat another good way to help tell a story, and I admit it...it is fun to do!!...well gotta get back to it...practice, practice...practice!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]