FORUMS: list search recent posts

what's more important: DVCam or 24fps?

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JNdigitalwhat's more important: DVCam or 24fps?
by on Aug 9, 2005 at 8:55:53 pm

Hi,

I am contemplating which camera to buy, the Sony DSR-PD170 or the Panasonic DVX-100A. The Sony records in both mini-DV and DVCam (small load) formats, while the Panasonic only records in the mini-DV format. But, the Panasonic shoots at 24fps and 30fps, while the Sony only shoots at 30fps.

I have recently graduated college and plan on expanding my small business shooting band promo videos and creating live music DVD's, as well as doing freelance video cam work and video editing, as I also have an Apple G5 editing-suite. I was wondering which cam would be the best, most useable and most versatile, etc. Thanks for any input anyone might have.

Return to posts index

MatteRe: what's more important: DVCam or 24fps?
by on Aug 9, 2005 at 11:44:34 pm

IMHO, you simply won't ever need DVCAM (its identical quality to DV SP.)

But the PD170 is MUCH better in low light situations (very low video noise) than ANY other camcorder.
If you plan on shooting bands in their "Natural Habitat" (which usually means mostly in the DARK) then you might want that feature.

The PD150 has been a reliable camcorder for many years.
The PD170 looks to be just as reliable.

Return to posts index

Morris O.Re: what's more important: DVCam or 24fps?
by on Aug 10, 2005 at 12:03:29 am

The overwhelming consensus amoung wedding & event videographers is that dropouts using DV (mini-DV) is not a problem. Also, DV affords longer run time per tape compared to DVCAM. So I would not worry about DVCAM and just choose either camera based on features that you need.

Morris

Return to posts index

TomRe: what's more important: DVCam or 24fps?
by on Aug 10, 2005 at 11:40:25 am

Have you viewed the difference in quality between a 1/3 chip or 1/2 or 2/3 chip camera. 150 and 170 may be nice but can't stand up to a camera with a real lens

:) Tom

Return to posts index

MatteRe: what's more important: DVCam or 24fps?
by on Aug 10, 2005 at 12:44:19 pm

[Tom] "150 and 170 may be nice but can't stand up to a camera with a real lens"

Why stop there?

I don't understand why you would bother with video cameras at all.

Just buy/rent a Panavision 35mm film camera and a complete set of lenses and really get high resolution.

Return to posts index

David RennieRe: what's more important: DVCam or 24fps?
by on Aug 13, 2005 at 9:08:36 pm

Better yet, just buy the band... they can then perform live for you anytime you want. Then you not only get "high resolution" but also 3-D without the funny glasses.....

Return to posts index

BillMRe: what's more important: DVCam or 24fps?
by on Aug 11, 2005 at 4:28:53 pm

As a PD-150 owner, I would recommend the Panasonic DVX-100A. It has much cleaner audio.
Regarding drop outs, buy the best professional grade tape you can afford. Stay away from the cheap consumer stuff. I've been using Sony DV-CAM tapes with my PD-150 and have never experienced a drop out problem.

Return to posts index

FuddamRe: what's more important: DVCam or 24fps?
by on Aug 14, 2005 at 1:34:24 pm

also PD150 owner: if audio is a problem, should simply be recording to another medium, eg minidisc, portable HDD etc direct from the mixer, or mic into the recorder then sync. Wouldn't consider the PD150/170's audio to be a problem in that respect.

also, stick with ONE brand of tape. Not so much an issue as it used to be, but still less likely to have hassles with gumming of the heads if only using a single brand. Some people mix and have no hassles, whereas others get themselves into a sticky situ

;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]