FORUMS: list search recent posts

Saving Edited Videos

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MatinaVSaving Edited Videos
by on Aug 9, 2005 at 6:13:39 pm

What's the best and fastest way to save all edited wedding videos so that they can be edited again in the future if needed? Should I just save on DVD, mini-DV tape, or save master file (Premiere Pro)? I've been burned by losing info on my hard drive and external hard drives (don't buy Maxtor drives!)

Return to posts index

Morris O.Re: Saving Edited Videos
by on Aug 10, 2005 at 12:29:18 am

>> What's the best and fastest way to save all edited wedding videos so that they can be edited again in the future if needed? Should I just save on DVD, mini-DV tape, or save master file (Premiere Pro)? I've been burned by losing info on my hard drive and external hard drives (don't buy Maxtor drives!)

To backup projects in progress, the "fastest" way to backup would be to save all captures (video and audio) and project files to another hard drive on an IDE or SATA port. With the large capacity drives available today, this is not hard to do.

As far as archiving goes, I would not worry about saving everything (captures, project files, etc.) since it is extremely rare that a wedding video client requests a re-edit years later. So if you're looking for better archival quality, suggest archiving the finished video to mini-DV, full size DV or Digital-8 tape as they all provide the exact same quality. Save your camera tapes, mini-discs and other field captures for a few years to use for any re-edits if necessary. But again, I'm sure you will find that wedding clients rarely ask for re-edits.

Morris

Return to posts index

David Chandler-GickRe: Saving Edited Videos
by on Aug 10, 2005 at 2:07:39 pm

I'll second your Maxtor vote...

I've had the best luck with Western Digital and IBM/Hitachi Deskstars.

As far as creating an archive, do not go to DVD. I would suggest either DVcam or DVCpro, with Full Size DV next and mini DV last on my list.

With HDDs as cheap as they are these days, you might consider just keeping a project on file for X months, retrieve anything you might want to save for a demo, and simply re-format and reuse once you are sure there will be no re-edits. (Say, you give them 30 days to request any changes. Recycle after 60 or 90.)

My archive process is basically as follows:

Finish project. Deliver to client.

Burn 2 DVD copies for self. One for playing, one for archiving.

Copy edited video to DVcam and archive. Retain camera original miniDV and archive.

Copy data files (FCP project files, text, custom graphics, music etc.) to DVD-ROM along with all files created externally (Invoicing, e-mail correspondence, DVD labels & packaging, etc.)

-DJ

David Chandler-Gick

DavidChandler-Gick.com

Event Video COW Moderator

Contributing Editor eventDV magazine

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Saving Edited Videos
by on Aug 10, 2005 at 4:17:09 pm

Another way to go is to save your information to DVD, as the raw media files, as data, not as an MPEG2 stream. This takes 2-3 DVD-R's to archive on, but functionally works like keeping all the original files on a hard drive, anf the disks are cheap.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]