FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD printers

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jrnofs
DVD printers
on Aug 8, 2005 at 7:24:10 pm

Hey all,
Not sure if this is the place for this question, but I figure its a great place to start. My wife and I are wedding videographers, new in '05, but are quickly moving up the ranks. The time has come to get rid of the tacky dvd stickers, and move up to printable, professional quality, dvd's. Does anyone have suggestions for the most economical way to get the best results? What brands/models would you recommend?

Now, I have also seen a few models that can not only print on the dvd's, but burn copies as well. Does this mean that, say, we just finished this wedding. We burn an extra copy for ourselves for archive purposes, then, would this allow us to just dump everything from our computer, and if/when we needed additional copies, we could just load in the disc we burned, and replicate from this? These seems like it may be a worth while option if it can prevent us from having to continuously buy new external storage to store the archive wedding videos. Or am I way off base here?!

Your wisdom is much appreciated!!

Return to posts index

velma
Re: DVD printers
on Aug 9, 2005 at 12:25:50 am

I've heard those DVD printers/burners combinations are really neat. But they are quite expensive. Maybe one day......

In the meantime, I use the Epson R300. There is an R200 version that sells for under $100. Same as mine except mine has photo card readers. These things are awesome. Make great-looking DVDs, super easy to use. I'd highly recommend you go down to Best Buy and check out the R200.

velma

Return to posts index

Ralph Hajik
on Aug 9, 2005 at 6:25:59 am

Hello jrnofs,

Your from Michigan and I'm your neighbor from Illinois. I'm also starting in the business, part time. The printers that print onto CD/DVD are Epson 200, 300, 800 and the one I have is the R1800. I'm very happy with the quality that prints onto CD/DVD and so are my clients. The print cartridges are a little pricey at $15.00 each from Fry's Electronics. You just charge the clients a little more. Now your taking about burning and printing to CD/DVD. Try Primera BravoII and the Bravo Pro.
I saw this unit at the NAB Show in Vegas, pretty nice. Go to http://www.primera19.com for more information. It's a lot of money but maybe worth it if you make a lot of copies. I'll stick with my Epson R1800 for now.

Good Luck Neighbor!

Ralph Hajik
Westmont, IL

Return to posts index

ppatton
on Aug 9, 2005 at 11:02:28 am

The Primra Bravo 2 Disk Publisher is a good machine that allows for copying cd/dvd and printing to them. You will need to keep whatever label design for future use but copying disks is a breeze. will do 25 disks or 50 disks (w/kiosk) be prepared to spend around 2 grand. but I have found it well worth it.
Paul

Return to posts index

peter ralph
on Aug 9, 2005 at 3:04:04 pm

the bravos are great for longer runs but IMHO overkill for the average 2-3 DVD wedding.

Return to posts index

Ralph Hajik
on Aug 9, 2005 at 5:20:56 pm

Hi Peter,

I know that's a over kill, but I just gave jrnofs some options. Sometimes you might have to preplan your business and maybe they would want something a little better. Myself, I was going to go with the Epson 300, but I decided to go with the Epson R1800. It was a little more money, but it prints larger prints when I need to do so. Your right Peter, for starting out, probably the Epson 300 is a good printer.

Ralph Hajik
Westmont, IL

Return to posts index

Doug Graham
on Aug 9, 2005 at 5:37:45 pm

jmofs may have been referring to the new HP technology which allows a drive to burn the data on one side, then a label on the other. HP's ads say "Burn. Flip. Burn". Problems with this are the labels are monochrome, and the burning takes a long time.

Regards,
Doug Graham

Return to posts index

Mark Landman
on Aug 9, 2005 at 6:28:03 pm

Don't those HP's also require special disks?

Mark Landman
PM Productions
Champaign, IL

Return to posts index

Doug Graham
on Aug 10, 2005 at 1:40:10 pm

Yes.

Regards,
Doug Graham

Return to posts index

Georgia
on Aug 16, 2005 at 2:59:29 am

I also have the Epson R200 and really like it, but I generally have my DVDs printed at the local short-order DVD duplication shop. It's only $4.00/DVD and that includes SUPERB water-proof printing directly onto the DVD and professional-quality printing on the case cover, along with the case and shrinkwrap. It's worth it if you don't want to spend $1,800 on a fairly decent duplicator/printer that's not even going to be as high quality anyway and will probably be outdated within a couple of years. I'd recommend finding a local short-order duplicator in your area.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]