FORUMS: list search recent posts

WEVA Expo 2005

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike SullivanWEVA Expo 2005
by on Aug 3, 2005 at 3:34:27 am

I have been doing mostly legal video work for the last 12 years. I would like to get back into doing some different kinds of event video stuff other then weddings.

I have never been a WEVA member, nor have I ever been to a WEVA Expo, but I would like to get some feedback on those who have gone and what you've got out of them. Do you think I would find the expo worth the time and cost as more or less a new event videographer?

Mike Sullivan

Return to posts index

David Chandler-GickRe: WEVA Expo 2005
by on Aug 3, 2005 at 5:10:18 am

To answer your specific question, yes. Being "new" you can be a dry sponge and absorb so much...

As time goes on, you'll find more "been there - done that", but by that time it's no longer so much about what you can learn as much as what you can experience. (And no. I really cannot explain any better than that.)

For me, it's about meeting with friends and colleagues. It's about sitting in on some new speakers and the tradeshow.

I'd like to go every year, but as it is, I go about every other and Vegas bores me. Between PPA, WPPI and WEVA, I've had enuff of Vegas for several years. I don't miss it when I don't go (even if I do miss my friends). If WEVA went back to the rotating city schedule they used to be on, I'd probably go more often.

David Chandler-Gick
Dynamic Media Group (
a deveraux film (
Event Video COW Moderator
Contributing Editor eventDV magazine (

Return to posts index

Ralph HajikRe: WEVA Expo 2005
by on Aug 5, 2005 at 5:33:49 am

Hi David,

I was reading this post and I'm now glad that I didn't spend my money joining WEVA. I went to NAB and enjoyed it very much, but you only stay for the first 3 days and leave. You have mentioned PPA, WPPI & WEVA. I know what WEVA stands for, bit not the others. What do they stand for and after I post this, I'll do a search and see if I can find out myself. Thanks all of you for the information on WEVA. I know now that I won't miss much.

Ralph Hajik
Westmont, IL

Return to posts index

Ralph HajikRe: WEVA Expo 2005
by on Aug 5, 2005 at 5:55:50 am

Hi Dave,

I did my search and PPA (Professional Photographers of America) and WPPI (Wedding & Portrait Photographers International). There's no need to respond, Thanks.

Return to posts index

TomRe: WEVA Expo 2005
by on Aug 3, 2005 at 11:37:30 am

I got tied of hearing the same people tell everyone how good they were.

Return to posts index

Matthew WatkinsRe: WEVA Expo 2005
by on Aug 4, 2005 at 5:35:26 pm

Here's what you get if you go to a WEVA expo.

A lot of people that tell you what you have to do to make it in the business, but don't tell you how to do those things in the real world. And a very small trade show.

Yes you can sit around and talk to the people that do these things all year and most are all wondering how to do what the speakers tell you, but you can learn from ordinary people doing what you want to do.

I can't see spending the money for that anymore.

I was a WEVA member for many years and went to the expos and finally got very tired of the same people telling me to basically keep spending money to come to all the WEVA events only to hear how great they were.

Save your money and if you want to go to a real trade show, go to NAB in April. Don't waste your time and money with WEVA.

Return to posts index

Mike SullivanRe: WEVA Expo 2005
by on Aug 4, 2005 at 6:09:41 pm

Hey Guys,

Thanks for your input. I really wasn't too excited about going anyway. I'll save my time and money.

Thanks again,

Return to posts index

Peter RalphRe: WEVA Expo 2005
by on Aug 4, 2005 at 7:29:47 pm

I don't attend WEVA but I have attended many "educational" conferences and have rarely felt the money or time were wasted. They have 3 functions - disseminating information, providing oppurtunities for networking, and (the BIG one), offering inspiration.

Return to posts index

You Can Call Me AlRe: WEVA Expo 2005
by on Aug 5, 2005 at 1:03:16 am

Everytime I think of WEVA I always think of that Groucho quote;
something like: "I won't join any organization that would have me as a member."

and man it works; I have never joined.

Return to posts index

Doug GrahamRe: WEVA Expo 2005
by on Aug 5, 2005 at 6:35:58 pm

Well, I've never been to a WEVA Expo, but many people (especially those just starting out) have told me that it was very valuable to them.

In addition, I know many of the presenters through the forums, or their books, or their training materials. These are not academic ivory-tower types spouting gassy theory. They are people out there in the trenches making video, just like you and me.

I'm not touting WEVA. I was a member in the past, but not at present. Nor am I touting any other organization. Everyone needs to decide for themselves whether the money spent to join a group and/or to attend an event is worth it to them. I just wanted to point out that many have found the answer to that to be "yes!"

Doug Graham

Return to posts index

Pat KingRe: WEVA Expo 2005
by on Aug 6, 2005 at 3:24:54 pm

It also depends on where you live. The value of WEVA, NAB etc are far higher to those who live in the sticks, and don't have ready access to B&H etc.My biggest gripe with WEVA is the time of year. August is always my busiest month

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved