FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for a Recording Device

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ralph HajikLooking for a Recording Device
by on Jul 28, 2005 at 5:44:08 pm

Hello Event Videographers,

I'm looking for a recording device to record a church ceremony as a back-up device. I'm wondering what others are using right now in the field besides a wireless MIC. Right now I have a Sony Portable MiniDisc Recorder MZ-NHF800 and it works find, but the problem is in the Sonicstage software that you get with it. When I download the recorded audio it into the software, it accepts the audio and converts it to wav. format. When you try to divide it into tracks(segments)to eliminate the silent moments to shorten the time of the whole process, the software sets a restriction copyright violation onto one of the tracks automatically and now your unable to do anything with it. You can't play it, record it onto CD-R or anything, it's just there. After many hours talking to the Sony Reps, the conclusion is that they have many complaints on this issue and I'll have to wait for the updated version to come out. Try telling this to my clients who pay good $$$$$$$ to record their Wedding. Is there another software out there that videographers are using to download MiniDisc to wav. format?

Thanks

Ralph
Westmont, IL

Return to posts index

David RennieRe: Looking for a Recording Device
by on Jul 29, 2005 at 3:06:49 am

Get yourself an iRiver and your problems will be over. I have three that I use all the time and they work like a charm.

Return to posts index

cdolan369Re: Looking for a Recording Device
by on Jul 29, 2005 at 5:17:02 pm

I have the iRiver 895 and I'm not thrilled with the audio. I recorded to it using an Azden EX-503 lavalier and found the audio to sound very 'canned' if you know what I mean. Doen't sound very good to me. I couldn't even adjust it in Audition to the point that it was good enough to put in the video.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Return to posts index

by on Jul 30, 2005 at 1:54:28 am

I have no complaints with the quality. Granted it is not going to be "completely pristine", but my results have been equal to a mid range wireless or a MD recorder.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 3, 2005 at 3:59:19 pm

How do you address the issue of sound being recorded through direct contact with the unit, ie; clothing? I noticed when the unit is clipped to my belt, it picks up every little bit of contact with it's surface. This is with the external lav mic plugged in.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 5, 2005 at 3:10:15 am

Sounds like you are not recording with the lav mic, but with the built in mic. This could also explain why your audio sounds so bad. If I am right you need to go into the menu and make sure it is set to the external mic.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 12, 2005 at 6:49:35 pm

No...I verified it is recording through the line-in mic in the menu. For some reason, it still records any contact with the body of the unit.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 16, 2005 at 3:30:04 pm

sorry just saw your reply....

in order to use a lav mic you need to set it to ext mic. line in is if your feeding a line signal, not a mic signal.

Return to posts index

BradbroRe: Looking for a Recording Device
by on Jul 29, 2005 at 5:25:30 am

You can use the headphone out jack into your sound card to record your wav files. I use Nuendo, but I'm sure you could find much cheaper programs. That software that comes with the MD player is horrible.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 29, 2005 at 2:45:40 pm

With an iRiver you do not need to record agin the audio. It comes with some pretty decent software that makes the process no more complicated than a drag and drop. I can convert an hour of audio to wav in about 30-40 seconds.

Return to posts index

Ralph HajikRe: Looking for a Recording Device
by on Jul 29, 2005 at 5:50:37 pm

Hi All,

Sony Rep gave me a call today and they're still working on the problem at hand. At least I know they're not letting me hang. They will be coming out with an updated version of SonisStage, til then, I'll have to wait for the update.

Thanks for your response.

Ralph
Westmont, IL

Return to posts index

gasparRe: Looking for a Recording Device
by on Jul 30, 2005 at 3:28:04 am

Our minidisc recorder won't even transfer digitally to the computer. I used to capture the analogue output directly, which worked fine.

Now, however, as I'm editing something else, I dub the minidisc to a miniDV tape. This tape becomes a digital source that I capture the same way as the rest of the tapes. You just need to remember to disable the video capture in your editing program to save disc space. Works great, and is a lifesaver in those situations where you need to reload an old project.

Since I never turn off the camera in the ceremony, the audio clip is easy to sync up. Once it's synced, I cut it all at the same time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]