FORUMS: list search recent posts

How Stylized To Get With Wedding Video

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
BradbroHow Stylized To Get With Wedding Video
by on Jul 16, 2005 at 4:37:59 am

Anyone care to share how far they go with the stylized stuff? You know, the black & white; sepia toned; soft focus filters? And let's not forget slo-mo! Any thoughts on how much or little to use? Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: How Stylized To Get With Wedding Video
by on Jul 16, 2005 at 6:52:27 am

There's no rule, really. You'll atract different kinds of people with different kinds of products. I don't do much of that stuff and the people who hire me tell me that they came to me because they DIDN'T like those things and everyone else they saw was doing them. I find enough of those people to hire me that I'm sticking with my style, but since there seem to be so many other people doing those things I have to assume there's a large demand for it as well.

So it's up to you to decide what you LIKE doing. Do what you think looks good and you should attract the people who like that style. You could decide to offer many different styles and let the customer choose, but I've always thought that was a bad idea. You should devote yourself to becoming the best you can at one particular style. Once you get really good at it you'll attract the attention of all the customers who really like that kind of work. If you have all sorts of things on your demo reel or web page then people won't know what to think. But if they see a standard style everywhere and it's what they want, they're far more likely to call you up.

I've let customer comments guide me over the style has altered slightly since I started...but the point is that I try to have a style that's unique to me. Watch as many other people's videos as you can, they'll help you learn, but don't try to copy any one of them exactly. Take hints on certain things, but that's it. Being unique is a great way to get attention in this business.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: How Stylized To Get With Wedding Video
by on Jul 17, 2005 at 5:11:19 am

Concur with Jeff 100 percent.

I think those effects are like spice in cooking, you can easlily overdo it. The effects and filters-heavy look I think is fine for short 3-4 minute music montages or a five-minute wrap of the entire day, but doing them "wall to wall" just cheapens everything. Fine camerawork/ lighting/sound and good cutting beats FX every time.

Return to posts index

BradbroRe: How Stylized To Get With Wedding Video
by on Jul 17, 2005 at 11:06:43 pm

I tend to go with the less is more approach. I'm editing a ceremony I recently filmed, and it was an outdoor shot of the bride coming down a white hot direct sunlight staircase into a shady nook where the rest of the ceremony unfolded. I trusted the zebra's and ended up over-compensating resulting in a very dark shot of her coming down the stairs. I decided to apply a black and white filter which looks much better than the actual color shot, but still seems like it comes out of nowhere.

Return to posts index

Peter RalphRe: How Stylized To Get With Wedding Video
by on Jul 18, 2005 at 4:31:07 pm

good example. I think there are three rules to using effects:

First the effect should be motivated by the footage.

Second the more subtle the effect the more freely you can use it - film look filters are often transparent to the average viewer, they see the effect, but are unaware of the artifice.

Third the effect should be used to enhance or draw attention to (aspects of) the subject matter not the effect.

competitions aside, the reaction we should be looking for - the reaction the customer is looking for - is 'what a beautiful wedding' not 'what a clever video'.

Return to posts index

David Chandler-GickRe: How Stylized To Get With Wedding Video
by on Jul 27, 2005 at 5:07:08 am

As much as you want to set YOUR style.

What others do should not dictate what you do. Create what appeals to you and you will find YOUR audience.

David Chandler-Gick
Dynamic Media Group (
a deveraux film (
Event Video COW Moderator
Contributing Editor eventDV magazine (

Return to posts index

maxrezRe: Don't compromise your art!!!!
by on Jul 29, 2005 at 12:19:29 pm

Don't compromise your art. Do what feels right. It might take longer, but it will help create your own style.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved