FORUMS: list search recent posts

creative photo montages?

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pat King
creative photo montages?
on Jul 14, 2005 at 3:06:08 pm

I have done several photo montages using very few effects. Movement on a few pics some 2&3 ups, some faked rack focus, but mostly just plain vanilla photos. I see over at eventDV.com a competition with effects up the yazoo. Do clients go for that sort of thing? It looks like a LOT of work.

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: creative photo montages?
on Jul 14, 2005 at 3:32:18 pm

Yeah, you should probably be doing something to every photo. It's not that much work once you get used to it.

Be aware, though, that even though I do something to every clip, they're not all over the top fancy moves. If it's a lively, fun song I might do a lot of extreme effects, but if it's a slow song with couple photos then a lot of my moves might be something like "grow from 100% to 110%." So it's ok if some of your moves are very, very slight. But it helps to have SOMETHING there, at least.

And they don't all have to move...they just have to do something. Here's one of my favorites that doesn't involve moving the photo: Scan your photos at very high resolution. Take a photo that shows someone's entire body but zoom in so you just see their face. Don't do any motion moves on it, but fade from that to the full version of the same shot. It's like you're cutting from a close up to a long shot and it looks very nice.

Return to posts index

Pat King
plugin for fcp?
on Jul 15, 2005 at 2:22:20 pm

Thanks Jeff. Can you recommend a plugin to do simple/subtle picture moves in FCP? Is Moving Picture the way to go? Or just use the motion tab?

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Re: plugin for fcp?
on Jul 15, 2005 at 2:37:28 pm

I just use the motion tab in Final Cut. There are probably better plug-ins, yes, but I don't think I do anything complicated enough to worry about that. I also have After Effects which is really the best program for this kind of project but I never even use it because Final Cut does exactly what I need.

The key is to really watch your finished product on a good, external monitor. You may sometimes make an effect that doesn't look as good as the others. In that case, just change a few settings slightly and render again. For example, sometimes you might have something in the photo (like horizontal lines) that create odd effects when moving. Try rotating 2 degrees for something like that.

That's just an example, there could by many different problems, but I haven't found one yet that I couldn't fix by just altering the settings slightly.

Return to posts index

Peter Ralph
Re: plugin for fcp?
on Jul 21, 2005 at 3:27:56 pm

the motion tab in FCP is a very powerful, intuitive tool. Competitions totally change the whole gestalt of event videography, inevitably placing exagerated emphasis on innovation. The real key to a beautiful photo montage is beautiful photos.

However ingenious an effect, it will soon be on a button for every teenager with iMovie.

Return to posts index

MKS
by
on Jul 25, 2005 at 1:45:27 am

>> Yeah, you should probably be doing something to every photo. It's not that much work once you get used to it.

When I zoom in or out of a hi-res photo, fine details tend to flicker. Especially noticeable can be flickering of the eyes which can look like horizontal lines in head-to-toe shots. Leaves on bushes or trees can flicker quite a bit.

My flicker problems while zooming can be bad on photos scanned at 300dpi to 400dpi. Even worse is flickering on photos taken by digital cameras that is visible even without any movement and worse while zooming.

Is there a technique you use to avoid flickering on hi-res photos or while zooming in or out?

Thanks for any help,
Mike

Return to posts index

Mark Frazier
on Aug 8, 2005 at 10:16:33 pm

You might check the preferences in the program you're using to move the picture. I have used Boris Red to move pictures, and there is a "deflicker" setting the preferences that needs to be turned on (unfortunately, it can't be set as a "default".... yet) to keep fine detail from flickering.

If that doesn't work, try a VERY slight blur effect to reduce the fine detail and see if that helps.

Return to posts index

MKS
by
on Aug 9, 2005 at 3:09:57 am

The deflicker option in Boris Red sounds good. I'll check that out in the two NLE's that I use. I have tried the slight blur technique on 400 dpi scanned photos which does reduce flickering but then the picture looks unsharp when I zoom in.

Regarding static photos (no zooming in), there's something that camcorders do which allows pictures to look sharp yet have minimal flickering. Even if I resize photos from digital cameras to the same size, 720x480 or 655x480, and don't do any zooming in, there can be a large amount of flickering on those photos. Wish I could find a software or a photoshop plug-in that can convert photos from digital still cameras to the camcorder equivalent of 720x480 with minimal flickering yet retain sharpness that camcorder stills can provide.

Thanks,
Mike

Return to posts index

peter ralph
on Aug 9, 2005 at 2:57:18 pm

with fcp5 - I find it sometimes necessary to force a render with stills, by applying a filter. Maybe 10% of photos require this and I haven't yet worked out the variables.

Return to posts index

Danny
on Aug 27, 2005 at 2:12:42 am

Hello Jeff

I'm a little confused, you say:
"Here's one of my favorites that doesn't involve moving the photo"

but in the next sentence you say:

":Take a photo that shows someone's entire body but zoom in so you just see their face. Don't do any motion moves on it,"

can you explain a little more in detail
It sounds like a nice effect

Thanks
Danny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]