FORUMS: list search recent posts

When shooting a Wedding over 60 minutes?

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ralph HajikWhen shooting a Wedding over 60 minutes?
by on Jun 19, 2005 at 9:26:14 pm

Hi Videographers,

I'm fairly new to the business of videography. I would like to know what do you do when the Wedding Ceremony is longer than the 60 minute tape you have in the camcorder. I like to set up a tri-pod and start recording a few minutes before the ceremony starts and keep recording to capture from the front side of the alter (45' angle)as the groom meets the bride. Then use a second camcorder to take angle shots. But what happens when your #1 camcorder at the alter runs out of tape. I was told that it's best to record in standard mode instead of LP mode. Any comments will be very much appreciated.

Ralph Hajik
Westmont, IL

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: When shooting a Wedding over 60 minutes?
by on Jun 20, 2005 at 1:32:33 am

Is this DV?

You can buy an 83 minute DV tape.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&...

The tape is a little thinner so they can fit it all in there. You shouldn't use them as master edit tapes because of that, they may wear out faster over the years than a regular tape.

But I've used a ton of them as shoot tapes and I've never had a problem. It's certainly a lot better than shooting in LP mode.

Return to posts index

Ralph HajikRe: When shooting a Wedding over 60 minutes?
by on Jun 20, 2005 at 5:51:58 am

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the information. That will ework just find. Another solution is to invest in the FirePro so I can record tapeless.

Ralph Hajik
Westmont, IL
Canon GL2

Return to posts index

tomRe: When shooting a Wedding over 60 minutes?
by on Jun 20, 2005 at 11:32:55 am

one of the reason I use a Panasonic DVC200, can shoot up to 3 hours

good luck

Tom

Return to posts index

Doug GrahamRe: When shooting a Wedding over 60 minutes?
by on Jun 20, 2005 at 2:17:48 pm

Solutions:

- use 83 minute tapes
- record in LP mode (not recommended. The use of LP can increase the chances the tape will not play in a different deck or camcorder)
- use a Firestore or other disk recorder
- and the cheapest of all: Simply stagger tape changes between your front and back cameras. Make sure the other camera has a good, steady shot for the 30 seconds or so it'll take you to change tapes. This requires that you have access to your camera, of course...you might not be able to service an unmanned camera on the altar.

Regards,
Doug Graham

Return to posts index

Postal BoyRe: When shooting a Wedding over 60 minutes?
by on Jun 20, 2005 at 4:01:19 pm

One more option may be to use a remote to pause the front camera during times you don't need the shot. Granted, you can't track how much record time is left remotely, but you could stagger WHEN you are recording if your remote has a long enough reach.

Postal

Return to posts index

MatteRe: When shooting a Wedding over 60 minutes?
by on Jun 21, 2005 at 12:51:49 am

Can't believe nobody mentioned this one:
A slick trick is to connect the first (A) camera via FireWire to a second (B) inexpensive home-video-type DV camcorder with a second tape at the ready (B will be in "VTR" mode so it will "see" the video/audio from the A camcorder coming down the FW).
After set-up, power down the B camcorder until just before you need it.

Have a volunteer helper stand-by at the 1-hour point and turn on the B camera and put it into RECORD just before the tape in the A camera runs out (you'll have an "overlap" for a couple of minutes on both tapes).

I have several inexpensive Dv camcorders that I bought at pawn shops for under $200.
These work great as secondary record "decks" for this kind of location need.

The VIDEO/AUDIO quality on the B camera will be IDENTICAL to the A camera because all you are using of the inexpensive camcorder is the "tape deck" section and not the image section.
It will appear that you simply were able to record for 2 hours on the same camcorder.

(And I'll chime in again with the "NEVER use LP speed" for anything at any time. It is UN-reliable.)

Return to posts index

by on Jun 21, 2005 at 5:00:47 pm

Hi Matt,

If your shooting the event by yourself, I beleive that you would power up the B camcorder and put it on pause until you need it. Trying to capture with a cam in hand and a remote inyour pocket, I guess that will work. Maybe the 83 minute or the Firestore Pro 4 would work just as good.
Guys, Thanks for the options and happy videotaping.

Ralph Hajik
Westmont, IL

Return to posts index

Doug GrahamRe: When shooting a Wedding over 60 minutes?
by on Jun 22, 2005 at 5:27:36 pm

Not on pause! The camcorder will shut off automatically after about five minutes to prevent undue wear on the tape.

Regards,
Doug Graham

Return to posts index

gasparRe: When shooting a Wedding over 60 minutes?
by on Jun 23, 2005 at 3:51:50 am

Do weddings where you are last so long? Here in Montreal, I change the tape just before the bride's entrance to the church, press record, and let it go. Not once in 30 weddings have I had to change the tape before they exit the church. Even with Italian catholic weddings with communion...

I suppose if I had to, I would just change it during the signing, or during the communion. I always cut those short in the editing anyway. Do you really need to chain on another camera, look for volunteers, etc? Great idea to fix the problem, but a bit of overkill IMHO.

I use the Panasonic 63 minute tapes.

Return to posts index

Peter RalphRe: When shooting a Wedding over 60 minutes?
by on Jun 23, 2005 at 4:40:51 am

Here in Colorado I have had Catholic weddings extend to 60-75 minutes 3 times. Two of those times I was told the wedding would last for 45 minutes, 60 minutes max! If a wedding is scheduled to go over 45 minutes I run 83 minute tapes. Cheap insurance

Return to posts index

by on Jun 23, 2005 at 4:59:16 am

I would like to thank all of you who responded and everyone had great suggestions. I think the easiest way do solve this is to buy 83 minute tapes. Later when I get extra money is to purchase the Firestore Pro 4.

Thanks Again,

Ralph Hajik

Return to posts index

by on Jun 23, 2005 at 5:34:36 pm

83 minute tapes sound like a great idea. Where I get caught once in a while is at the reception. you working on your last 10 minutes of tape, and the father of the bride decides to jump up and do a 15 minute speech. Sigh...

Return to posts index

David RennieRe: When shooting a Wedding over 60 minutes?
by on Jun 24, 2005 at 5:09:47 am

Thats why communication with the DJ is so important. If you establish a relationship with the DJ early on they will warn you before such things happen. Afterall in your example the FOB likely used the DJ's microphone.

Return to posts index

Eric GibsonRe: When shooting a Wedding over 60 minutes?
by on Jun 24, 2005 at 8:05:33 pm

For Catholic weddings and events I switch at Communion, there is no need to shoot the entire church receiving communion, bride & groom yes, but not everyone.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 24, 2005 at 10:20:50 pm

Well, of course I talk to the DJ at the start of the night, ask what the schedule is, and request that he give me a heads up before he is going to introduce the next speech or whatever. But, some of them forget, or get surprised themselves when there is an unexpected request for a speech, song, or some such. Once in a while you get bit...

Return to posts index

ScottRe: When shooting a Wedding over 60 minutes?
by on Jul 15, 2005 at 6:27:39 pm

Just out of curiosity, what failures have you had with recording in LP mode? In 4 years I have never had a failure and am curious what has happened to other people.

Scott

Return to posts index

ThaxRe: When shooting a Wedding over 60 minutes?
by on Jul 15, 2005 at 9:23:46 pm

[Scott] "Just out of curiosity, what failures have you had with recording in LP mode? In 4 years I have never had a failure and am curious what has happened to other people."

Video dropouts
Audio dropouts
Timecode dropouts
Various combinations of the above

Incompatibility between recording unit and playback unit (if different.)
Incompatibility between recording unit and playback unit (if the same.)

LP is so unreliable is even disclaimed by most the camcorder manufacturers right in the manual.

The way LP is achieved is to just to SLOW DOWN the TAPE MOTION (and not the heads) so that the same info that would be recorded across a larger AREA of tape in SP mode is "crammed" into a smaller section of tape.
This means the head "swipes" (tracks) are very close together and difficult to "separate" during playback.
It requires very tight tolerances and "perfect" tracking to follow the recorded material.

Happy that you have had no problems.
(I guess we won't go into what happens as your gear AGES and the heads and guides start to wear.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]