FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rate question...

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nick detomasoRate question...
by on Jun 18, 2005 at 5:31:18 pm

I have a question that I shouldn't have to ask. A long time corporate client has requested a quote for event coverage at their convention. They would like footage from an opening reception dinner and two 3 hour business meetings shot over the course of three days and then edited to music and shown on the last night.

Shooting on DV and editing on my computer is the approach. All travel and expenses will be paid by my client. This will take 5 days of my time with travel.

Of couse, because it's "just a 5 minute hilite video", they are crying poor. So what's it worth?

Return to posts index

David Chandler-GickRe: Rate question...
by on Jun 18, 2005 at 6:18:32 pm

Answer this question: How much is your time worth?

5 days including travel is 120 hours. Lop off 1 third for room & board and travel expenses, that still leaves 80 hours of awake time that you are not home, and not able to do conventional business... You are, "on their clock"

I'd do at least $1k day rate X 5.

David Chandler-Gick
Dynamic Media Group (
a deveraux film (
Event Video COW Moderator
Contributing Editor eventDV magazine (

Return to posts index

nick detomasoRe: Rate question...
by on Jun 20, 2005 at 1:13:33 am

Thanks for the reply. I can't get $1000 a day for HIGH END production anymore, my clients would rather just not do the video! I've been doing corporate work for over 20 years and it just keeps getting worse.

Of course, I'm in Cleveland.

Nick D.

Return to posts index

Doug GrahamRe: Rate question...
by on Jun 20, 2005 at 2:24:45 pm

I work cheaper than DJ. I'd quote them $2,500 plus travel expenses.

Doug Graham

Return to posts index

Postal BoyRe: Rate question...
by on Jun 20, 2005 at 3:56:06 pm

Remember, they aren't just paying for the end product, they are paying for your time, your equipment, your expertise, and so forth. Make sure you bill what you would earn doing other things with the same amount of time.

Return to posts index

Story CatcherRe: Rate question...
by on Jun 25, 2005 at 5:47:55 pm

Hi there

You probably know this, but I would be sure to have a good contract before you start. If they're trying to weasel money out of the deal at this point you might want to get at least 1/2 of the money upfront.
Try to get them to put your hotel room on their account, not yours.

Return to posts index

tony salgadoRe: Rate question...
by on Jul 2, 2005 at 11:47:12 pm

Are you in business to stay in business or underwrite your client's projects with your sweat and labor?

You must take into account the hourly dollar value of your expertise, equipment, overhead etc to arrive at a figure which will keep you in business for the long term not just next week.

If you refuse to figure out this rate and allow yourself to be victimized by a client who considers your services to be worth next to nothing then you allowing yourself to become a slave to their insane budget.

Another option is to call around to your competition and find out how much they would charge for the job.

Good luck,

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

nick detomasoRe: Rate question...
by on Jul 7, 2005 at 10:12:40 pm

Thanks for all of the advice. In the end I'm charging them $2400 for about 6 hours of shooting that I'll edit into a three minute recap set to music. My travel and room are being paid for and I got half up front.

Nick D.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved