FORUMS: list search recent posts

MTV Awards 2005

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan SheehanMTV Awards 2005
by on Jun 10, 2005 at 7:38:45 pm

Did anyone notice the cool black and white thing they did with Mariah carey last night on the mtv awards? she was in color everyone else was in black and white....you can see some green reflection on her hair so i can figure that part out (green screen) but what about the reverse shots of everyone....htat included the audience....and I don't think it was prefilmed.....

???

jonathan

Return to posts index

Rob ForsytheRe: MTV Awards 2005
by on Jun 10, 2005 at 8:50:02 pm

[Jonathan Sheehan] "but what about the reverse shots of everyone....htat included the audience....and I don't think it was prefilmed....."

My best guess:
Since she would have been singing to a recorded track (or at least the song would be syncing to a recorded CLICK-TRACK), it would be a simple matter to HAVE synced pre-recorded Reverse Angle(s) (in green screen) and just cut to a live switcher effect where the pre-recorded reverse of the subject(s) (in color) was chroma-keyed over LIVE (maybe) audience shots (with the color removed from the live camera images) in real-time.

All this stuff is kind of like a magician "revealing his tricks".
Its really mysterious and fascinating BEFORE you know the gag,
and usually a disappointing let-down AFTER you find out how deceptively simple
the set-up really works.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: MTV Awards 2005
by on Jun 13, 2005 at 2:40:31 pm

"and usually a disappointing let-down AFTER you find out how deceptively simple
the set-up really works"

Uh, guys, the show was taped like 3-4 days ahead of broadcast, so by Occam's Razor, she was just roto'ed in post, and everything else given a B&W color effect. There are ways to do that effect live, but none of them are as cheap as post, and nothing I saw in the footage I skimmed convinced me it was done live. The fringing around her may have been part of deliberately backlighting her to make the roto easier later, or just sloppy masking...

The real crime though is how little screen time Jessica Alba got... rrrowwwllll....

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: MTV Awards 2005
by on Jun 13, 2005 at 11:18:05 pm

At first I thought they just had the set and the other artists on stage with her dressed in shades of grey - this has been done before - I suppose they could roto a 3 minute performance in 3-4 days - did you notice in the reverse shots, you could see the imag screen of the performance, and it was all black and white - a clever digital artist would have roto'd Mariah on those shots as well for a convincing yet subtle detail.

I liked those little vignettes they had going in the different frames around the stage - clever use of old style production values instead of relying solely upon video roll ins.

Mike

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: MTV Awards 2005
by on Jun 14, 2005 at 12:38:18 am

"did you notice in the reverse shots, you could see the imag screen of the performance, and it was all black and white - a clever digital artist would have roto'd Mariah on those shots as well for a convincing yet subtle detail. "

I think a yet smarter one would have just done the main scene once, then pasted the corrected video into the other screens;-)

or at least saved the presets from the first roto job to apply to the monitor regions, there's many ways to do this kind of thing, and I'm not saying I know for sure which one or ones were used, just going by what I think would have been most expedient. Way cheaper than painting people up in shades of gray or chromakey green...
("measure twice, cut once", sorta.)

I kind of like roto work, actually; it's drudgery, but, you get the right music playing, a comfy chair and beverage, a nice tablet, you get into a zen like repetitive state after a while, and when you think to look up at the clock again, eight hours have gone by... So yeah, four minutes can be done, could be done in one day, she didn't move all that much.

I agree about the side-set vignettes, thought hey were the best part of the production design. The parody films were lame this year.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]