FORUMS: list search recent posts

tripods

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris
tripods
on Jun 7, 2005 at 11:31:57 pm

Ou bogen tripod, we paid 400 for it, gave out and can't be repaired in time for the shoots we have this weekend (trust me if you saw the pics you would know and besides it would probably cost as much to repair as how much we paid for it). We have 900-1000 to spend on a new tripod and wondered what people would recommend? Miller, Sachtler, Vinten, Libec, Bogen?? We use a DSR300 that is aprox 12.5lbs with battery and a DSR570 that is about 20lbs.

Return to posts index

Chris
Re: tripods
on Jun 7, 2005 at 11:48:24 pm

Looks like either a Libec or another Bogen at this price point. Which is better??

Return to posts index

Peter Ralph
on Jun 8, 2005 at 1:35:17 am

I don't know libec - bogen is pretty hard to beat under $1000. For a few hundred more you can choose models from Miller, Vinten, or Sachtler and the difference between those and the bogens is night and day. I use a Vinten Vision 3 - different springs balance the head for anything from 5-30lbs. Personally I can't see crippling a camera like the DSR570 with a cheap tripod, but I suppose if you don't need to pan or tilt a bogen would work fine.

Return to posts index

Chris
on Jun 8, 2005 at 2:24:54 am

A few hundred more?!?! Hmmm from what I see about 500-700 dollars more. I would love a Miller but budget prevails. Don't they all pan and tilt or are you talking about the quality and smoothness of these features. We had a Bogen 501 head before and didn't like it at all...

Return to posts index

Peter Ralph
on Jun 8, 2005 at 1:12:52 pm

You got it - those silky smooth moves are a LOT easier with the higher end units. Also the tilt resistance on the head should be matched to the weight of the camera, otherwise it won't "stay put".

I think all 3 have "dv" models with street prices in the $1200-$1400 range. AFAIK DV magazine has reviewed all 3.

Return to posts index

Chris
on Jun 8, 2005 at 2:35:08 pm

Thanks for your help! After much thought we eeked out enough to buy the Vinten PRO-10-DV which supports 22lbs for the DSR570. While we would have liked to buy the Vision3 we needed the extra 300 for bills. So now we'll see what sort of difference there is! Of course it will be night and day over the Bogen with the 501 head!!

Return to posts index

Peter Ralph
on Jun 8, 2005 at 2:46:52 pm

check TriVision in San Francisco - Keith 510.614.1068

large Vinten dealer sometimes have demo specials. Vinten service is A++

Return to posts index

Doug Graham
on Jun 8, 2005 at 3:41:32 pm

While we're on the subject...

Has anyone tried the Bogen 701RC2 head? It looks like a smaller version of the 503, with a fixed counterbalance spring designed for the small, VX-2000 type of camera.

I was wondering how it compares to the 501, or for that matter the more expensive Vinten or Sachtlers.

Regards,
Doug Graham

Return to posts index

Alex
by
on Jun 9, 2005 at 2:23:43 am

Too bad I didn;t read this sooner...I have a used one in very good condition I am trying to sell...let me know if it isn't too late!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]