FORUMS: list search recent posts

any preferred monopods?

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kennon Shainany preferred monopods?
by on May 28, 2005 at 12:16:35 am

Hi,

I currently use a Varizoon shoulder brace for the reception coverage (with a GL-2 camera), but I find that it tires my back out, especially because I have a bad back. A fellow videographer I know swears by his monopod, which he says is sturdy, simple, and reliable. And it would put all the weight on my arms, which could be better than my back.

Any suggestions? I see a whole boatload of monopods on B&H Photo, but I don't know where to start. I have Bogen tripod, and I know they have quality stuff, so maybe they are the best route to go?

I really appreciate any help. I'm basically looking for an inexpensive support, but something that works-

Ken

PowerMac G4 (Quicksilver)
Dual 1 GHZ
1.5 gig RAM
OSX 10.3.5
Final Cut HD

Return to posts index

martin boulianneRe: any preferred monopods?
by on May 28, 2005 at 1:27:59 am

Manfroto/Bogen 3 section

i've had mine for almost 10 years..

it even served as a deterant agains't an atempt to grab my camera...( makes one hell of a bat)

Martin Boulianne
tech.Dir.

Return to posts index

BruceRe: any preferred monopods?
by on May 28, 2005 at 4:19:59 am

Gotta defend ourselfs. I really loved that response.

Return to posts index

Kennon ShainRe: any preferred monopods?
by on May 28, 2005 at 4:54:59 am

I hadn't thought of that-its completely metal, right? Thats gotta hurt.......

Dual 1 GHZ
1.5 gig RAM
OSX 10.3.5
Final Cut HD

Return to posts index

David SlaterRe: any preferred monopods?
by on May 28, 2005 at 2:34:24 pm

I like the Manfrotto 558B Monopod
it has a compatable plate for the 501 503 head (which is what I use on my tripods and other supports)

VERY strong very durable

DAVE at Movies Rock in Toronto

Return to posts index

John HartneyRe: any preferred monopods?
by on May 29, 2005 at 10:02:35 pm

I use a bogan with a quick release head, the monopod itself has a grip release that allows adjustment of height with one hand.. Don't have the model number now and it is packed with gear from the last time I used it...

Don't use it much, but to stablize a palmcam it works fine.. last time I used it was with my PDX10 in 16:9 as cut shots of the crowd at a concert that was being mastered with Ikegami dv7 cams... works great for that app.

John Hartney
werks.tv
Elgin, Illinois - Chicago area

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: any preferred monopods?
by on Jun 7, 2005 at 8:45:37 pm

Look at the Band Pro Duo Pod, this can be bought separate and added to most other monopods, or ordered complete, it's a fold-out "footplate" you step on, which makes the monopod as rigid as a tripod, but flip it up in a second, you're on the move again.

I like the Fig Rig and want one badly for close-in hand-held shooting using palmcorders, but for long-lens shooting, a monopod is a better choice.

Return to posts index

Karl ARNDTRe: any preferred monopods?
by on Jun 8, 2005 at 5:13:11 pm

I bought a "Steady-Pod" at WEVA last year and love it. It has a funky little head on it. The system is very fast to move and shoot. It has a great "Doggie" cam fitting on it that I use a lot.

Return to posts index

Peter RalphRe: any preferred monopods?
by on Jun 12, 2005 at 5:07:35 pm

I've used a mono-pod (bogen 3245) as a doggie cam by flipping the footage in post. The monopod is great for taking on hikes etc.

For weddings I prefer a very small tripod with a telescoping neck (bogen 3211). A little heavier, but very versatile, scoot the legs together and it works like a monopod, spread them and its rock solid as long as you don't need to pan or tilt. I don't find the extra weight to be a problem at events.

getting a quickrelease plate that works with both tripod and monopod is a big help.

Return to posts index

Kennon ShainRe: any preferred monopods?
by on Jun 14, 2005 at 10:02:31 pm

Many thanks for all the feedback guys. I ended up getting a Manfrotto 682B, which is basically like their standard monopod, but with retractable legs. The problem is that when the legs are folded up inside the monopod, they clang around so noisily that I can't move it! So I ended up not using them anyway!

Still getting used to the feel of it, but I like it much better than a shoulder brace. I think a combination of the two can work well. The monopod definitely gives me a lot of freedom of movement. But I will definitely look into some of the add-ons you guys mentioned.

Thanks again-

Ken

Dual 1 GHZ
1.5 gig RAM
OSX 10.3.5
Final Cut HD

Return to posts index

David SlaterRe: any preferred monopods?
by on Jun 24, 2005 at 3:13:09 pm

try wrapping gaffer tape around the legs. That should cut down on the noise

DAVE at Movies Rock in Toronto