FORUMS: list search recent posts

Change up wedding video scenes

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Knobbe
Change up wedding video scenes
on Apr 18, 2005 at 8:59:42 pm

Looking for a way to tell the story of my daughters wedding. It was a two camera shoot. I'm the editor/storyteller.
I have lots of footage taken right at the planning stages. dress shopping, tux fitting, flowers, reception hall selection,etc.
Could do the thing in chronological order but seems kind of ho-hum.
It seems as though changing the order of the scenes could be interesting but keeping it cohesive and not confusing to a viewer could be a whole 'nother thing.
Any ideas or sites that would help me?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: Change up wedding video scenes
on Apr 18, 2005 at 10:17:39 pm

[Jay Knobbe] "Could do the thing in chronological order but seems kind of ho-hum."

Well there's always a NEW way to create... that's why music videos are so highly regarded as "art".
(sarcasm HERE)

You might want to "have some fun" with the "intro" to the piece and maybe "set something up" to "pay-off" later at the conclusion or wrap-up section, but the basic STORY is usually best told in an "as-it-happened" order, otherwise the "technique" could easily overtake and muddle the actual events and create unnecessary confusion.

But don't let a traditionalist like me talk you out of creating an "MTV Rockin' Hook-up Party" with non-sequitur editing and "incomplete, emotion-free" sequences that are "all about the MUSIC"!!
After all, it might just IMPROVE the lackluster real-life emotions of the actual event. (sarcasm HERE!)

I'm REALLY thinking that many a daughter (especially in later years) just might LIKE to review the "ho-hum" version of her "chronological" once-in-a-lifetime event... carefully recreated by her dad.

Return to posts index

Jay Knobbe
on Apr 19, 2005 at 2:56:20 am

Understood, but I probably should have stated I have the whole event start to finish in a traditional format shot with a XL-1.
It's nice, but trying to push the envelope a bit without crossing or even coming close to the MTV type of stuff.
I appreciate your input.

Return to posts index

Ken
by
on Apr 19, 2005 at 5:36:28 am

How are you planning to distribute this to them? On a DVD?
I see a couple of possibilities. First would be a semi-traditional montage of the prep scenes transitioning into the highlights of the wedding itself. I do this often, a short hightlight of the day that the couple will watch often, and then the complete ceremony as another chapter on the DVD.

The other possiblity that comes to my mond.. maybe a dream or flashback type.... start with them walking down the aisle at the end of the ceremony, probably in slow motion.... and then use the wedding prep segments. Cut back and forth between them leaving, and the portions of the day that got them to that point.

Just my thoughts.

Ken

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]