FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fig Rig: love at first sight

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Doug Graham
Re: Fig Rig: love at first sight
on Apr 18, 2005 at 2:37:10 am

Really, Mark? It looks pretty hokey to me.

Regards,
Doug Graham

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 18, 2005 at 3:05:34 am

"Pretty is as pretty does" - ask any A-10 pilot;-)

Return to posts index

Mark Von Lanken
on Apr 18, 2005 at 2:11:27 pm

Hi Mark,

I think it looks interesting, but I wonder how it works when you need to focus, zoom and adjust your exposure on the fly.

I saw in your profile that you are in Central IL. I grew up in Niantic, which is between Decautur and Springfield. Small world.

All My Best,
Mark Von Lanken
Picture This Productions, Inc
http://www.TulsaWeddingFilms.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 18, 2005 at 2:25:52 pm

There are remotes under your fingers, on the rim, for zoom, focus, and exposure.

Bet you don't miss the smell of Decatur in the morning;-)

Return to posts index

Mark Von Lanken
on Apr 18, 2005 at 2:38:30 pm

Hi Mark,

I'll have to check it out. You know when you live there you don't notice the smell as much, but now when we go back to visit family, the smell is so strong.

All My Best,
Mark Von Lanken

Return to posts index

Peter DeCrescenzo
on Apr 20, 2005 at 12:41:54 am

IMHO, the "FigRig" is an April Fools Day joke. It's a fake. Even if it's "real", it's an AFDJ.

Mr. Figgis has an uneven record. True, he has created some really good, cool work ("TimeCode", etc.), but he also created some abomidations. His "Blues" doc episode for the PBS series was incredibly bad, an insult to all professional videographers. It was one of the worst-shot videos I've ever seen on TV. (Just that one show, with Clapton & crew, the rest of the Blues series -- done by other directors -- was _infinitely_ better.) MF's episode was really quite amazingly ugly.

This FigRig joke/scam thing seems like something which might partly explain all the bad camerawork in MF's Blues episode. Personally I'd be very, very wary of any recommendation from MF as to what we need to improve our shooting results.

Sorry to sound so harsh, but MF's Blues episode really blew my mind (in a bad way), so I can't take this FigRig thing as anything other than a bad joke.

Just my $0.02 USD; I could be completely wrong.

All the best,

- Peter

Just a friendly reminder to all: Please consider filling-in your COW user profile information so we have a better idea who you are, where you're from, and so forth. It's the friendly thing to do. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mark Von Lanken
on Apr 20, 2005 at 6:34:08 pm

Hi Peter,

Okay, I took your hint. I filled out my user profile.

All My Best,
Mark Von Lanken

Return to posts index

Peter DeCrescenzo
on Apr 20, 2005 at 10:37:35 pm

[Mark Von Lanken] "Hi Peter, Okay, I took your hint. I filled out my user profile."

Hi Mark! Greetings from SF, CA to all you DSR-250 shooters in Tulsa, OK! :)

My 3-year-old DSR-250 camcorder has been a real workhorse, but I'm hoping to upgrade _soon_ now that this year's NAB dust is starting to settle. Haven't decided exactly which cam to get, but I'm hoping I can step up to a 2/3" 3-CCD shoulder-mount, fullsize SD cam with a removable lens.

Possibly the new Sony DSR-450WS 16:9 SD DVCAM camcorder shipping in May. But I might instead decide to do something really odd and assemble a camera system based on the Panasonic AW-E860 "convertible" POV camera head (no built-in tape transport). If you're not familiar with either of these cams, check 'em out. The E860 is the new version of the AW-E800A. If I go with one of the Panasonic cam heads, I may use a Sony GV-D1000 miniDV portable recorder as the deck, or the Sony DSR-50 DVCAM portable recorder.

Researching/shopping for toys is fun. If I could only afford to do it all the time! :)

All the best,

- Peter

Just a friendly reminder to all: Please consider filling-in your COW user profile information so we have a better idea who you are, where you're from, and so forth. It's the friendly thing to do. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mark Von Lanken
on Apr 21, 2005 at 5:13:18 pm

Hi Peter,

I have had my 250 for about 2 years. I need at least 2 matching cameras as my wife shoots with the 150. I will use her 150 for Glidecam shots or put it on a monopod for high perspective shots. I can also rent a 3rd 150 or VX2000 for a very reasonable rate.

I would love to have the picture quality of the bigger chip cameras and especially the pro lenses, but I can't ask my wife to shoot with those big cameras. And then the added expense of 2 big cameras and batteries just doesn't make it feasible for me. That is why the combination of the 150 and 250 works so well for me.

All My Best,
Mark Von Lanken
Picture This Productions, Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]