FORUMS: list search recent posts

feedback wanted

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pat Kingfeedback wanted
by on Apr 14, 2005 at 11:38:53 pm

Where can I go to get objective and honest feedback on my work? It seems to me that posting clips on forums is really not so good because 99% of the responses are "fabulous" even when the work is obviusly sub-standard. Seems to me a professional critique service would have a role to play. Is there such a thing?

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: feedback wanted
by on Apr 15, 2005 at 5:29:26 am

I can promise to not be so nice, how about that? :-D

Seriously, though, if you want a full review, mail me a DVD or a tape in the actual mail. That way I can give you advice on everything from compression to packaging. All of that stuff matters and you can't see it in a web clip. I don't know how "official" I am but I think I have enough experience to give my opinion. The secret is not to find the smartest person anyway, but to find LOTS of people to watch your work. Once you get enough feedback you can start to see the things that people say more than other things.

So start with me. I'm happy to help.

Download Form #1 from this page:

My home address is at the bottom of the last page. Mail me anything you like!

Return to posts index

Charlie KingRe: feedback wanted
by on Apr 15, 2005 at 3:12:06 pm

I tend to stay away from giving feedback in a forum, cause if you are honest aobut the work, either you are being, or everyone will jump on you saying you shouldn't say bad things about another person's work. Ya really can't win. So anyone want an honest opinion of work from someone with 43 years in the business, the first 35 in broadcast local, regional, national, and international commercial production, I will give mine in private, but we have to find a way to do that reasonably.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: feedback wanted
by on Apr 16, 2005 at 1:57:15 pm

Well, there's always eentering it at regional contests, or screening it at a local MCA meeting...

Return to posts index

Chip JohnsRe: feedback wanted
by on Apr 16, 2005 at 9:45:48 pm

Hi Pat,
Good sources of feed back:

1 - Customers... if you're making the money, you're good.

1 - Your Wife...

2 - Colleagues...

3 - Take a training course with a reputable instructor. Ask him/her.

4 - On the cow, you will get honest feedback. After being here a while you get a great sense of who knows what they are talking about. If none of those respond, well, you're usually not quite in the league that warrants a response from them. Then you know you have to gain experience and skill, when thehy start responding and giving straightforward advice you know that you are getting close... The cow is a great forum...

5 - Be a student of what is GREAT. When you truly learn what is GREAT you will be able to understand the level of your own work...

Chip Johns

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved