FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic DV tapes no longer play in DSR-11

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Gregg
Panasonic DV tapes no longer play in DSR-11
on Apr 12, 2005 at 3:05:42 pm

I shoot with a Panasonic DVX-100 and use the recommended Panasonic tapes. I bought a Sony DSR-11 in December to capture the footage to FCP and same DVX heads. Everything worked great up till now. The DRS-11 plays the tapes but the time code is stuttering and any motion will break up on the right side of the screen (about 10%). The older wedding tapes I shot are now doing the same. Tapes that I mastered directly from FCP earlier now have the same problem. I recorded some new footage directly from FCP on the tail of one the Panasonic tapes not playing correctly and it recorded and played back perfect. I cleaned the heads numerous times. I'm very puzzeled!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Panasonic DV tapes no longer play in DSR-11
on Apr 12, 2005 at 3:09:23 pm

Maybe you cleaned the heads, but you may not have cleaned the whole tape path, the rollers, etc. Did you use a cleaning cassette, or the old chemwipe sticks method?

Return to posts index

Larry Gregg
on Apr 12, 2005 at 3:14:25 pm

I have only used the cleaning tape. The deck is under warranty and didn't know if I should take the top off to clean like you said. Will that void warranty?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 12, 2005 at 5:56:04 pm

Wet or dry, it makes a difference. Use a wet system if you can. If you have the right kind of cleaning sticks (q-tips are NG), you can go inside and clean off things like the guides and pinch rollers manually. We do this typically with very pure isopropyl alcohol on our larger decks. In the bad old days, freon was the weapon of choice, but the isoprop should be ok... If you're afriad of doing more harm than good, take it into a shop and have them professionally clean it, plus check the alignment of the tape path.

And never mix brands of tape again... if using someone else's camcorder, run a wet cleaning tape thru it first, just on general principle.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]