FORUMS: list search recent posts

How long a demo for a bridal show?

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pat KingHow long a demo for a bridal show?
by on Apr 7, 2005 at 12:29:21 am

I am wondering how many minutes of demo would be good? Is 15 minutes about right? Its just one afternoon show (around 4 hours)

Return to posts index

David Chandler-GickRe: How long a demo for a bridal show?
by on Apr 7, 2005 at 1:03:04 am

Go to your family room.

Turn on the TV to a channel you want to watch.

Look at your watch.

Watch TV.

Look at your watch and note how long it's been since the first time you looked when you do any of the following: Sit, lie down, kneel, turn the channel, make a phone call, check the fridge...

My guess is it'll happen in less than 3 minutes.

The secret to successful tradeshow video presentation is "say it fast" - Get your message across quickly. Tell the story in as short a form as you can. Attendees don't want to stand still for long periods... They want to gather as much info as fast as they can - make it easy for them.

My suggestion is 2-3 minutes (5 on the very outside), broken up with a 30 second commercial, then a different 2-3 minute spot...

David Chandler-Gick
Dynamic Media Group (
a deveraux film (
Event Video COW Moderator
Contributing Editor eventDV magazine (

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: How long a demo for a bridal show?
by on Apr 7, 2005 at 3:26:17 pm

David's points about how long people will look are all good, but you don't really have to edit down to the amount of time someone will be looking. You shouldn't expect anyone to watch the whole thing no matter how short it is.

From my experience, most people will watch your video for 20 to 30 seconds and a select few will stick around for a minute or two. That doesn't mean your video has to be 2 minutes long. Go ahead and make it 10 minutes long or more. (Broken up into segments, like David said.) Nearly everyone will only watch 5% of that, but the next time they wander by they'll be seeing a different piece of video instead of the same 2 minute clip again and again.

Edit it so that reception and ceremony footage alternate instead of going in order and you'll make sure everyone sees a little bit of everything.

When you get right down to it, the ONLY thing your video has to say is "I don't suck." That's it. These potential brides will not remember ANYTHING they see because they're seeing so much. Your only goal is for them to look at the screen and say "That's not bad" and pick up one of your fliers. Passing out papers is the only thing that really matters. Hopefully, they'll look at it later and think "I remember these guys..." and give you a call. No one is really looking AT the videos at these trade shows. They're simply looking for people who look good enough to call back later.

I suppose it's possible you'll be at a small show where that's not the case, but the ones I've been to were very large with thousands of people wandering around. They're simply seeing WAY too much to absorb any of it. Just make sure they like it enough to take the paperwork and that's about all you can do.

Return to posts index

Chip JohnsRe: How long a demo for a bridal show?
by on Apr 9, 2005 at 1:57:02 am

I did a show in Phoenix in January. it was a 2 day show, 8 hours each day. I put together about a half an hour's worth of clips to watch. It got to the point i really hated it because I ended up listening to the thing 20 times a day.

However, next time I am going to make it shorter. I will be so sick of it by the end of the show- but, i can see where a shorter video would have worked better.

Make a short demo and take a pair of ear plugs.. ;-)

Chip Johns

Return to posts index

Pat KingRe: How long a demo for a bridal show?
by on Apr 10, 2005 at 5:53:00 pm

Yes I was thinking the same thing, I am going to be really sick of that soundtrack standing beside it for 2 days. Thanks for all the advice

Return to posts index

velmaRe: How long a demo for a bridal show?
by on Apr 13, 2005 at 5:54:29 pm

Mine is about 12 minutes (broken up into segments). And not only do I get sick of listening to it, but so do the vendors beside me!

Return to posts index

Chip JohnsRe: How long a demo for a bridal show?
by on Apr 14, 2005 at 1:00:02 am

Just to add a few inspirational notes about bridal shows.

I have seen people stand almost in the middle of the aisle giving out their pamphlets. really gets on my nerves when they are across from me and they are diverting virtually everyone's attention away from me. Not a good thing to do. However, on the other hand you need to talk to people. Get people engaged in conversation. Talk about your video that'splaying. Get them talking about it. Ask them what they want in a videographer. Become a friend.

It's a crowd, and just like Rodney Dangerfield said, "You gotta work the crowd."

Don't be afraid to sell yourself... tactfully of course...

Chip Johns

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved