FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using music

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeremyUsing music
by on Apr 5, 2005 at 6:10:55 pm

For a wedding video can you use copyrighted music? Say the bride to be gives
you a selection of songs she wants to be played during a photo slide-show. What do
you say to her? Tell her to get the premission of the copyright holder?

Return to posts index

David Chandler-GickRe: Using music
by on Apr 5, 2005 at 6:32:57 pm

This horse has been dead and buried for a long time. Do a search of the forum using "music" and you'll find all the answers you need.

David Chandler-Gick
Dynamic Media Group (
a deveraux film (
Event Video COW Moderator
Contributing Editor eventDV magazine (

Return to posts index

jeremyThanks-very helpful
by on Apr 6, 2005 at 3:17:17 pm

I work at a place that provide very lite editing and often I get people coming in wanting me to edit there video that say "Uncle Bob" shot. They music and pics, the whole nine yards. When I tell them that I can't because it is copyrighted they get mad because they feel that since it is just for themselves no one would be hurt. Any ways I agree with you and I feel something could be done to change this, but that is the hard part.
Thanks for the info.

Return to posts index

Doug GrahamRe: Thanks-very helpful
by on Apr 8, 2005 at 1:47:36 am

Also see Douglas Spotted Eagle's great primer on copyright, "My Voice, My Choice". It's available in several locations on the Web.

Use of copyrighted popular music without permission is a copyright violation, and your employer is quite correct in his position. However, probably more event videographers engage in this practice than not. I used to, but lately have decided to climb back to the moral high ground; I use royalty-free music in all my productions.

Doug Graham

Return to posts index

KeyDesignzRe: Thanks-very helpful
by on Jul 3, 2007 at 5:04:12 am

It really depends on the country you are in. Here in Australia, I pay a $400 fee per year to use any copyrighted music I want to on a DVD for a personal event, wedding, birthday, etc. This is payable directly to ARIA (Australian Recording Industry Association). For commercial corporate videos, I can either have someone score the video or just use a copyright and royalty free music backing track. Not sure what the story is in the US, but I am sure there must be an organised body that allows licencing for the recording industry.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved