FORUMS: list search recent posts

looking at a new system... help!

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sherri stupaklooking at a new system... help!
by on Apr 2, 2005 at 5:01:15 pm

I need a new editing system. I am currently using a Canopus Rex system (yes, REX, not Storm). I am looking at either the new Canopus Edius system or possibly a Sony Vegas 5 system (although I am not totally convinced on anything right now).

What systems are you guys using and do you like it? Is there a site someplace that I can do side by side comparisons of different systems? please help! :)

I am a new user here and I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question - I am an event videographer tho...

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did... but she did it backwards and in high heels.

Return to posts index

Peter RalphRe: looking at a new system... help!
by on Apr 2, 2005 at 5:20:38 pm

Vegas gets my vote on the windows platform

Return to posts index

Don GreeningRe: looking at a new system... help!
by on Apr 2, 2005 at 5:45:37 pm

I keep falling off my high heels whenever I try to do it backwards. But perhaps it's because my mini skirt's too tight. So I'm going to give up on it. My wife says I look really stupid anyway.

*Macintosh and Final Cut Pro* Once you go mac you never go back. My .02

- Don

Return to posts index

Craig SeemanRe: looking at a new system... help!
by on Apr 3, 2005 at 12:15:24 pm

As someone who edited on Avid Media Composers BOTH PC & MAC for 12 years . . . Final Cut Pro.

Return to posts index

tomRe: looking at a new system... help!
by on Apr 3, 2005 at 4:36:24 pm

You could always go to NAB in Las Vegas in two weeks and SEE for yourself what does what. Here everyone has their likes and dislikes. What really matters is with what your are comfortable using

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: looking at a new system... help!
by on Apr 4, 2005 at 7:00:21 pm

If you liked working with the Rex, you will probably like Edius as well.
Ask 3 editors your question, and you'll get four opinions at least. And they will all be wrong, at least in terms of what's best for YOU.

While I've read opinions that were positive regarding Edius, I've read a few more that were lukewarm about it, suggesting that by the next version it may be better still. It would probably be wise to hold out for NAB and rent time on a system until then. After the show, you'll be in a better position to judge.

My criteria would be:

What kind of work are you doing now or expect to mostly do soon? Certain systems tend to be a little better at one thing over another. Some are not so "powerful" on their own but are very fast and have plenty of custom add-ons and plug-ins you can buy as you need them. Others are swiss army knives, very deep up front in the feature set, but consequently harder to master. If you can dream it, it can do it... once you figure out how, somewhere deep in the manuals.... if you have the time...

That said, they all can cut and dissolve, and that's 90 percent of what most people do in editing. If your needs are truly modest, there's no reason to rush out and get something high-falutin' for fear of being obsolete. And there's every reason to buy only what will pay for itself within 2 years. Beyond that time, it may be cheaper to buy new than upgrade.

The trends definitely seem to favor all-software-based solutions, but there are still some platforms out there that are hardware-dependent in terms of special video cards. This is a see-saw that keeps tipping one way or another over the years, as software outstrips current hardware technology, then a new generation of chips comes out and you see a migration back to the concept of farming-out certain processes to a board to speed up overall performance. Even an all-software solution doesn't mean it will run on just any old hardware, either. Usually you still need a leading-edge spec machine to run the processor-intensive applications. When they say what the minumum hardware and O.S. setup is, that's under laboratory conditions, typically. Trying that setup at home will be disappointing and often unsuccessful. So don't lowball the hardware choice because the software says it will run on it, there's a difference between "running" and "operating" in a way that's useful.

Do you have any legacy issues that will keep you on one particular platform, like other hardware or software you intend to keep using on the same machine? That will constrict your circle of choices. As will output formats: do your clients demand an HD output, DVD's, internet streaming?

Do you have a personal preference for one type of GUI or editing format over another? This is just as important as any technical issue, because in the end you will be living with this system for many hours, and if you pick one you hate, every day will be a pain, like a chair that doesn't give you the right back support. Pick one you're really comfortable with, you will spend more time with it and not mind, you will spend more time on it getting really proficient. And a person who is only casually familiar with a whiz-bang big-ticket system is never going to be as good or as productive as someone who is wicked proficient and comfortable on a system that may not be "state-of-the-art". It always comes down to the artist, not so much the tools he or she uses.

Return to posts index

sherristRe: looking at a new system... help!
by on Apr 12, 2005 at 10:10:55 pm

OH I WISH I could go - I loved Vegas when I was at Weva years ago - before kids... sigh.

Do you know of anyplace in the Philly-NY area that I can play on systems?

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: looking at a new system... help!
by on Apr 13, 2005 at 2:47:28 am

B&H comes to mind first.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved