FORUMS: list search recent posts

small portable monitor

COW Forums : Event Videographers

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Perry Richardson
small portable monitor
on Apr 2, 2005 at 5:31:36 am

I have an old VX-1000 that I've been using for a stationary 2nd or 3rdcamera. The viewfinder has given up the ghost and I wanted to use a small lcd monitor attached to the video out. Any sugesstions. Cheaper is better since I'd just be framing the wide shot.

She's been a good camera and I can't stand to put 'er down.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: small portable monitor
on Apr 2, 2005 at 6:05:18 am

You might want to check out the TFT monitor at VariZoom. We have one of them and it's got a 5 and a half inch screen you can mount onto the camera's shoe. The downside is that you're tied to a wall outlet unless you go for the battery, but even then the battery's only good for about 1 and a half to 2 hours. You can, however, buy more than one battery and stack them between the monitor and the shoe mount for double the run time. It gets expensive to do the battery thing, though. Just ask me. And no, apparently no one else makes a battery that will work with this monitor without ruining it with the wrong power. I checked.

http://www.varizoom.com/pages/tft.php

- Don

Return to posts index

Peter Ralph
on Apr 2, 2005 at 5:23:22 pm

i use a nebtek which use canon or sony batteries/power supplies. Cheapest is probably one of the screens built for use in cars

Return to posts index

Thax
by
on Apr 4, 2005 at 1:21:56 pm

[Don Greening] "And no, apparently no one else makes a battery that will work with this monitor without ruining it with the wrong power. I checked. "

You're not gonna fall for THAT old one are you? ;-)
There's no such thing as a "special proprietary voltage" that can't simply be duplicated by another means and generic battery.

The exception is when there is no "standard-size" DC input jack on the unit (like a Sony camcorder with "unique" power connectors).
Even then, if you can buy an extra replacement cable, you can then connect it to any like-voltage battery.

In the case of your monitor:
I see that this unit has an available "Car adapter" as well as an AC adapter, and that both power units have a "coaxial power plug" to fit into the monitor.

This means that all you have to do is buy ANY battery that has the approx. output voltage and connect the same size coaxial power plug to that battery (observe proper polarity) and you're golden to power your LCD.

You COULD even buy a 12v gel cell (say, 8 Amp/hr) and use the "Car adapter" to drop the voltage down to whatever the little monitor uses (heck, the monitor may even USE 12-13v DC) .
A Gel cell (although a bit HEAVY) could run the monitor for an entire DAY (or more) of shooting on a single charge.

So...
The AC adapter should have its output voltage marked on the top or bottom.
The Car adapter may also.
The actual Monitor and Battery should have it marked (along with the proper +/- polarity) as well.

If you want more info on using a substitute long-life less expensive battery, just post back here with as much info about this monitor and power adapter(s) as you can.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 5, 2005 at 5:35:05 am

The people who told me that I could only use a VariZoom battery for a VariZoom monitor was not VariZoom. It was my broadcast supplier. He was told by his tech dept. that the monitor would have to be re-wired in order to use a 3rd party battery. And since my broadcast supplier is quite p*ssed at VariZoom at the moment because they won't pay to have one of their brand new monitors shipped back to them because it's defective, I know the last thing the broadcast supplier wanted to do was to order a battery for me if they could have sold me a 3rd party one instead.

However, sometimes I don't have a grasp for the obvious and like Thax has just pointed out: if the VariZoom battery comes with a 12v car adapter, why can't I use a 12v battery and cable? This is a question I'll be asking the broadcast supplier tomorrow.

- Don

Return to posts index

Thax
by
on Apr 5, 2005 at 2:39:29 pm

[Don Greening] "if the VariZoom battery comes with a 12v car adapter, why can't I use a 12v battery and cable? This is a question I'll be asking the broadcast supplier tomorrow. "

Please, can you read the info on the AC supply and post it here?
I'd be happy to tell you what you need to know based on just a few more bits of info.

And, as a producer/shooter/editor AND small-time inventor and designer of alternative gear for production use, I can say that, as a rule, I don't take what an order-taker on the end of a phone says to be any kind of serious "fact."

This is not a SLAM on order-takers, its just that they may have limited experience with the actual GEAR.

Proprietary (read WAY OVER-PRICED) batteries and AC supplies/chargers are a pet peeve for me and, over the years, I've found ways to save $$$$ with off-the-shelf generic substitutes.

Example:
A Sony Betacam 12v power supply costs around $300.
A Radio Shack 12v bench supply costs about $42.
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=22-5...
The Betacam camera does not "care" which you use.
But your wallet MIGHT.

Return to posts index

Peter DeCrescenzo
on Apr 3, 2005 at 7:48:17 am

Some inexpensive LCD monitors which might be worth investigating:

http://www.lcdracks.com/
http://www.ikancorp.com/products.htm
http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/GenProductListCmd?type=np...

All the best,

- Peter

Return to posts index

Doug Graham
on Apr 5, 2005 at 12:54:02 am

Those are all good suggestions.
But have you considered getting the VX1000 repaired? The most likely culprit is the ribbon cable that sends the signal to the viewfinder. It's a known weak spot in the VX1000 design. There have even been threads on how to do the replacement yourself, although I can't point to one at the moment.

Even if you have Sony do the repair, the cost will probably be about the same as equipping yourself with an outboard LCD monitor.

Regards,
Doug Graham

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]