CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

any chance of implementing copy pasting of screen shots?

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roei Tzorefany chance of implementing copy pasting of screen shots?
by on Sep 9, 2016 at 5:06:20 pm
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Sep 9, 2016 at 5:07:26 pm

hey Y'all :) If I understand correctly, when I want to show a screen capture I need to use a cloud service or your own cow cloud service for uploading photos.

this means:
1. going to a specific site
2. upload the photo
3. get the link.
4. paste it here with the code?

or to use the image upload here: upload the image, see all the images I uploaded since the beginning of time and choose it from there, get the code, paste it here.

any chance of enabling copy pasting of images right in the board? this could save so much time if we could show images easily and users will use it more this saving all of us a great amount of time figuring out problems. video on the other hand works here splendidly as the youtube (vimeo too?) link shows the video right in here.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Abraham ChaffinRe: any chance of implementing copy pasting of screen shots?
by on Sep 9, 2016 at 5:44:39 pm

Hello Roei,

Yes, we can look into implementing this into the site. Looking around the web seems to indicate browsers have matured to the point where this may be possible across major browsers. Whether or not this will work well in our current textarea text boxes is another question to be explored.

You can clean up your old image list by clicking on the red "X" by the images. This won't delete the images from posts you've used them in, but will allow your list to be free of old images you no longer want to see. This may help in the short run, until the image paste from clipboard system is brought to the site.

Abraham

Return to posts index

Roei TzorefRe: any chance of implementing copy pasting of screen shots?
by on Sep 9, 2016 at 6:02:29 pm

Thanks Abraham that's good to hear. also for the cleanup advice.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 12, 2016 at 3:19:59 pm

Hello Roei,

After doing a bit more research on the current state of this issue and major browsers, Chrome is the only browser we can move forward supporting this feature for. Due to Chrome being the dominant browser which most of our users are using, the feature does seem worthwhile in implementing. Feel free to test it out and let us know how it is working for you.

Thanks for the feedback!

Abraham

Return to posts index

by on Sep 12, 2016 at 3:52:56 pm

[Abraham Chaffin] "Feel free to test it out and let us know how it is working for you.
"

Sure! this is great! thank you.

Testing....

it took more than 10 seconds to upload this image and it's only 36k. could this be faster? I thought it was stuck

another test...

this one took almost the same amount of time. but its 300k

another test...

this one took almost the same amount of time. but its 2.6MB

seems drag and drop does not work - this is less comfortable. if I want to copy an image to the clipboard it required more steps. for example if I have a gif I made in photoshop at my desktop, I would have to open it in chrome and then copy paste. with jpg's it could work if I used the snipping tool so it's at my clipboard but can also be a problem if it's a file somewhere, I would have to find a way to have it in the clipboard before I paste.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 12, 2016 at 3:55:03 pm

I won't edit my post but instead write here. the 2 last images were supposed to be GIF files. since you can't drag and drop, I opened them in chrome then copy pasted. it has created a png frame from them.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 12, 2016 at 3:56:32 pm

Hello Roei,

Yes, the Chrome paste system uses PNG data when you paste. The delay is due to virus scanning on our side. I'm not sure we want to drop this in exchange for faster performance.

Abraham

Return to posts index

by on Sep 12, 2016 at 4:01:24 pm

this is a 600k file. it took almost a minute. this seems too much.

this message could be better. any chance to add progress percentage? and a way to cancel? one minute freeze makes me jumpy :)

Return to posts index

by on Sep 12, 2016 at 4:23:38 pm

Hello Roei,

Thanks again for your feedback. We'll keep improving this as we look into solutions to these issues.

Abraham

Return to posts index

by on Sep 12, 2016 at 7:29:50 pm

sure, anytime. feel free to PM through here or email me on this matter or any other.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 13, 2016 at 10:50:24 am

testing again:

Abraham did you do something? this is much faster now! I am enjoying this very much. I have a silly question: was this possible before and I missed it? because I am not sure now if I tried to drag into the text field or copy paste :/ if it is new, you should spread the word! I have, in here: https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/2/1114782

testing 600k file

still very slow. maybe Half a minute. my recommendation is:
1. virus scanning? if you think it's important then o.k but Adobe Forums don't need that, are you sure we do?
2. a cancel option - very important
3. a percentage of progress, we humans don't like to wait and if we wait we want a good reason
4. what about GIF files? any chance of implementing a fast way to put them here other than image upload?
5. drag and drop will probably fix 4 and is a great feature for avoiding multiple steps to get something into the clipboard

Return to posts index

by on Sep 13, 2016 at 3:45:04 pm

Hello Roei,

The pre virus scanning was slowing down the system too much. The system now scans the files for viruses after the process is completed.

A cancel option is not really possible with our setup, but you can always use the back button, navigate to a different page, or close the browser window. The system does not lock the page while the image is processed, just the textarea box. The textarea box must be locked, or the user may alter the placeholder text, which would break the proper injection of the pasted image. With the speed improvement this really shouldn't be an issue, unless you are pasting an ridiculously large image with a slow Internet connection (which may be what you are testing).

A percentage of progress is also not possible with our setup and not necessary unless you are doing an incredibly large image paste. If this is the case then we ask you to please wait. The reason for waiting is presented to the user, and should be a good enough reason - if the user intends to paste image content.

The Chrome browser chooses PNG as the format for the paste data. This is not the format chosen by our system. The mechanism never choses PNG, but relies on the image format of the data being provided by the browser.

The drag and drop image system, which you desire in addition to the image paste system, is a completely separate system. This may be something we implement in the future.

Abraham

Return to posts index

by on Sep 13, 2016 at 9:28:48 pm

Thank you Abraham.

[Abraham Chaffin] "The pre virus scanning was slowing down the system too much. The system now scans the files for viruses after the process is completed."

so is this a development of the last few days? this is really amazing.

[Abraham Chaffin] "A cancel option is not really possible with our setup, but you can always use the back button, "
problem is I don't want to lose what I have already written. does it save it when I come back?

[Abraham Chaffin] "The Chrome browser chooses PNG as the format for the paste data. "
so there is not actual way of pasting GIF files right?

[Abraham Chaffin] "The drag and drop image system, which you desire in addition to the image paste system, is a completely separate system. This may be something we implement in the future."

this would be great.

got another question about the boards - any chance CreativeCow will be mobile friendly soon? it loads as a regular web page meaning the text is small and not wrapping and you have to zoom to every option etc.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 15, 2016 at 12:15:05 am

Hello Roei,

Thanks again for your feedback on this.

These developments have all come in the last week or so, since you made the feature requests. We're still working to iron out these features and add more features as well.

The system does save your post automatically after a few seconds, so you (and others) should not lose anything typed - if you are at least semi-patient.

There is not a way of pasting a GIF into the browser - that I have found - at this time.

The text post box now supports drag and drop of files. Unlike the paste mechanism, this system seems to work with Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.

We are moving more toward being mobile friendly, but we plan on keeping the large interface for all platforms for the time being.

Feel free to test more and let us know what you think.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Abraham

Return to posts index

by on Sep 15, 2016 at 8:50:09 am

[Abraham Chaffin] "These developments have all come in the last week or so, since you made the feature requests. We're still working to iron out these features and add more features as well."

I find that remarkable :) I am honored to be part of it. I believe that making a thread system that supports clear (and quite fun) communication and interaction could save users so much time here and engage better.

[Abraham Chaffin] "The text post box now supports drag and drop of files. Unlike the paste mechanism, this system seems to work with Chrome, Firefox, and Safari."

testing...

gif1

gif2

large gif 11.5mb - failed - there's a size limitation for gif which is good

it would be better to specify in MB (3?) and not bytes. and if possible, the warning should be before the upload process because it's only appearing after the upload is done.

the ability to keep editing your post as your drag and drop file is uploaded is very nice :)

mp4
10558_icevideo20160912093005.mp4.zip

large mp4 - 9.8mb. uploading...
10562_icevideo20160911110145.mp4.zip

large mp4 23.7mb. uploading...
10564_icevideo20160823140945.mp4.zip
shouldn't there be a size limitation for any file? do you have a lot of disk space over there? :)

exe
10559_test.exe.zip
there does not seem to be an extension limitation. enabling to drag and drop any kind of file could be a security issue don't you think? usually there is a limitation to a specific extension jpg, gif, mp4 etc.

other than that what comes to mind is that it would be better to have an indication where the dropping occurs in the text field. for example I go to select my file to drag here and then the crosshair disappears - I am not sure where I am pasting... sometimes it's pasting at the bottom of the thread (If I keep editing my thread as it uploads)

after you are satisfied with the results, maybe these new features should be known at the add a post page.

another question: as an option, an advanced text editor that shows only images and text and not html code would be nice. code scares me, maybe it scares others as well.

I got many more Ideas :) thank you for the opportunity to help make this community communicate better and faster.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 15, 2016 at 2:56:32 pm

Hello Roei,

Creative COW has always been improved organically through user interaction and feedback. The site is designed for media professionals and is a site for the community. We value the thoughts of the community.

I do agree, having the message be in MB is a little more helpful. There is a size limitation on the miscellaneous file types, being 50 MB. This may be high and we may choose to bring it down, or we may want to raise it in the future. We may also choose to do house keeping on some files which are very old to free up space. So far, the file sharing mechanism is not breaking the bank or overwhelming our systems, so there's not much to fear there at present. Of course, we're keeping an eye on these things. Users who are found abusing the system may find they no longer have accounts or any files they previously uploaded.

There is not an extension limitation at present, because the files are zipped and virus scanned. So far, we've been safe from users introducing malicious content, but if this ever starts we will need to tighten up the avenues where this content crept in. Simply allowing users to link arbitrarily to external resources outside of Creative COW posses more of a risk to users than allowing users to upload their content here and us zipping them to be available for download. The former allows the execution of files in one click through the browser and the latter requires users to first download, then unzip, then execute the file. Of course, we are always weighing these risks with the benefits of the technology we are providing. Again, we are watching and listening to see what abuses may actually take place. With technology there are always risks. The only way to be completely safe is to shut everything off.

The drag and drop content is always placed at the bottom of the text area, and the text area is the destination to drop the content.

We're not planning a change to the text editor interface at present. We may add instructions about the drag and drop or paste system. We are thinking about these things, and you may see some of these things in the days ahead.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Abraham

Return to posts index

by on Sep 15, 2016 at 10:04:13 pm

Got it Abraham. until next time :) thank you.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 15, 2016 at 11:38:21 pm

suggestion: would you consider making the GIF drag and drop larger? I find 3MB very small. Adobe's forums limitation for GIF is 8mb which is too large.. would you settle for 5MB? :)

if you use the image upload I can upload this GIF which is 4mb and something

but drag and drop doesn't let me. is it supposed to be different approach for the same kind of file?

Return to posts index

by on Sep 16, 2016 at 4:51:18 am

Give it a shot now. I believe the limit is a little higher.

Here's 5MB image:

Abraham

Return to posts index

by on Sep 16, 2016 at 9:33:43 am

yep. it works :) so it's 8MB now. more than enough thank you.

Roei Tzoref
Ae Artist & Instructor
https://vimeo.com/aeblues

Return to posts index

by on Sep 23, 2016 at 4:42:57 pm
Last Edited By Roei Tzoref on Sep 23, 2016 at 4:43:25 pm

still on the same topic - sort of:
1. can't I delete a post I made? even if no one responded to it yet..
2. when I want to edit my text, seems unintuitive that I have to hit reply (even to my own post) to get to see the edit button. also once I click it, seems copy pasting is not supported here and also drag and drop.

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: any chance of implementing copy pasting of screen shots?
by on Sep 24, 2016 at 5:58:30 am

[Roei Tzoref] "1. can't I delete a post I made? even if no one responded to it yet.."

This is not currently supported. Please let us know if there's anything you'd like deleted.

[Roei Tzoref] "2. when I want to edit my text, seems unintuitive that I have to hit reply (even to my own post) to get to see the edit button. "

Hmmm, I think that this is because in the old default view (single post), the edit button was always visible. In the new default view (threaded), that is not the case. Let us think about how we might address that.

Good catch!

[Roei Tzoref] "also once I click it, seems copy pasting is not supported here and also drag and drop.
"

Can you describe that a little more?

Thanks!

Tim Wilson
Creative COW

Return to posts index

by on Sep 24, 2016 at 1:25:59 pm

Thanks Tim for the quick response

1. Deleting posts - nothing special really. I find that in rare cases I can write nonsense instead of good advice and want to delete it. guess I can change the text if I want but I think there should be an option to delete a post or response unless a user responded.

2. Editing posts - at first I thought there was not any ability to edit posts because it was not visible. it's only when I searched for "edit posts" I found this thread I think: https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/1/859914 and then I discovered that you can hit Reply on your own message and get to edit your post. for me a simple button of edit post is much more useful than many of the features here:

3. New Features copy pasting and drag and drop features (which are very useful) only work in the "Add a Post" window here:

but it does not work in the "Edit yout Post" window:

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]