CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

Blog: Consumer Battle

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlos GomezBlog: Consumer Battle
by on Nov 28, 2010 at 8:31:20 pm

Hello, this is a learning service assignment, your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

we are always making choices and decision in a daily bases. my standard DVD player broke, and since it is almost Christmas I went to best buy, I was faced with a choice to buy a new Blue-Ray DVD or standard DVD player and I thought, what was wrong with the standard DVD player? oh, that's right, disc capacity, only three hours worth of content, it can only hold up to 4.7GB on a single layer and 8.5GB in a dual layer. as oppose to Blue-Ray and its glorious 25GB, 50GB for dual layer and its magnificent 23 hours of SD and 5 to 8 hours of pure high definition. from a producer point of view I enjoy and embrace technology. in resent days I've been learning about the different DVD formats available on apple's final cut studio pro. I may have some future clients wanting me to burn content on a Blue-ray, but guess what? I don't have a blue ray burner on my computer. I will have to create an image file or (.img) so I can burn it from my neighbor's computer using the disc utility application, or create an AVCHD disc on my super drive. it is a little bit overwhelming keeping up with new technology, so much money and effort poured into Blue-Ray technology and not enough protecting standard DVD authoring from piracy. hopefully Blue-Ray is the answer to it. from a consumer perspective I wish the manufacturers would have created a hybrid DVD player that could play both Blue-Ray and standard DVD, not one or the other.

Return to posts index

Jeremy GarchowRe: Consumer Battle
by on Nov 30, 2010 at 11:54:00 pm

"I wish the manufacturers would have created a hybrid DVD player that could play both Blue-Ray and standard DVD"

Oh, you mean HD-DVD? What a brilliant idea!

Well....it was.....

Return to posts index

Post removed.

Rafael AmadorRe: Blog: Consumer Battle
by on Dec 4, 2010 at 7:40:56 pm

[Carlos Gomez] "I was faced with a choice to buy a new Blue-Ray DVD or standard DVD player and I thought, what was wrong with the standard DVD player? oh, that's right, disc capacity, only three hours worth of content, it can only hold up to 4.7GB on a single layer and 8.5GB in a dual layer. as oppose to Blue-Ray and its glorious 25GB, 50GB for dual layer and its magnificent 23 hours of SD and 5 to 8 hours of pure high definition. from a producer point of view I enjoy and embrace technolog"
What makes the difference is quality.
The question is not BR or DVD, but HD or SD.
BR capacity is interesting if you use them for SD.

[Carlos Gomez] "I wish the manufacturers would have created a hybrid DVD player that could play both Blue-Ray and standard DVD, not one or the other."
Ist true that Domestic BR players can not play standard DVDs?
I thought they were able to read everything from CDs up.
BR burners can.

About BR (I use them for data archive), I'm not much confident of future success of the format.
The future is Solid State Memory. No moving part.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]