CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

Article: Creative COW Turns 15! A Celebration of Being Uncool

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim WilsonArticle: Creative COW Turns 15! A Celebration of Being Uncool
by on Apr 12, 2016 at 2:11:12 am

Business & Marketing
Creative COW Turns 15! A Celebration of Being UncoolCreative COW Turns 15! A Celebration of Being Uncool

15 years is a long time on the internet! Travel back with us to the days before YouTube, social media, digital cinema, smartphones, iPods and all the rest, back to the founding of Creative COW by Ronald & Kathlyn Lindeboom in April 2001. Join us for an insider's look at the earliest days of the professional digital video revolution, all the way through the events that have shaped the world's largest community of media professionals, right here at Creative COW.

Editorial, Feature   04/11/2016
Author: Tim Wilson

Return to posts index

Simon UbsdellRe: Creative COW Turns 15! A Celebration of Being Uncool
by on Apr 12, 2016 at 1:49:52 pm

Totally brilliant article. What an amazing story! So much kudos to Ronald and Kathlyn and Tim and co for making all this happen. Congratulations on 15 years and more.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom@Simon Ubsdell
by on Apr 26, 2016 at 7:38:02 pm

Thank you, Simon, for the kind words. They are appreciated. We are honored that you make the COW one of your online homes. We like the company of smart and talented people, and you are that and more.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
A 2011 FOLIO: 40 honoree as one of the 40 most influential publishers in America

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

Return to posts index

Ralph HajikRe: Article: Creative COW Turns 15! A Celebration of Being Uncool
by on Apr 12, 2016 at 9:58:13 pm

Congratulations goes out to Ronald & Kathlyn Lindeboom, Tim Wilson and everyone affiliated with CreativeCow. 15 years is a long time with many wonderful memories to think back at and CreativeCow is still going stronger than ever.
Yes, I have to say this, Mooooooooo!

Happy Travels
Ralph Hajik
http://www.RJTravelMedia.com

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom@Ralph Hajik
by on Apr 26, 2016 at 7:35:39 pm

And a moo to you, too, Ralph. :D Thank you for being a part of all of this.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
A 2011 FOLIO: 40 honoree as one of the 40 most influential publishers in America

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

Return to posts index

Ralph Hajik@Ronald Lindeboom
by on Apr 26, 2016 at 10:38:56 pm

Ronald and Kathlyn

I remember the booth you had at NAB and I still have the CreativeCow mouse pad and hot sauce you were passing out.

Yes, Memories.

Ralph Hajik :-)

Happy Travels
Ralph Hajik

Return to posts index

Sarahelizabeth MasonRe: Creative COW Turns 15! A Celebration of Being Uncool
by on Apr 13, 2016 at 1:47:18 am

Big Congrats on Turning 15! It's hard to imagine the industry without the COW. Thanks for the Shoutout re DWW! Glad to matchmake the two of you and was cool to hear about the recap and resulting legacy.

Too cool as always you Man About Town ! Thanks for sharing all of this. It was such fun to read and relive and go beyond! Here's to many more years Creative COW!

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom@Sarahelizabeth Mason
by on Apr 26, 2016 at 7:33:59 pm

Thank you indeed for the introduction, Sarahelizabeth. It was one of our great adventures over the years. Thank you for being there and for still being a part of it all.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC

Return to posts index

Herb SevushRe: Article: Creative COW Turns 15! A Celebration of Being Uncool
by on Apr 14, 2016 at 7:20:43 pm

Fascinating to see how we got here, thanks for the great article.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom@Herb Sevush
by on Apr 26, 2016 at 7:32:17 pm

Herb, it is an honor to still see you grazing in the pastures after all these years. Kathlyn and I wish you success always.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC

Return to posts index

Mark RaudonisRe: Creative COW Turns 15! A Celebration of Being Uncool
by on Apr 14, 2016 at 11:53:11 pm

I've been around long enough to visit the pasture BEFORE the grass was green and the all the COWS well fed and happy! So, congrats to Tim for keeping the farm going, and a tip o' the hat to Ron and Kathlyn for pioneering the land grant.

I remember the debate over "anonymous" vs "Real" ID's, and I'm proud to say that I used my REAL name well before it was a requirement. I strongly believe that simple policy has contributed greatly to the quality and civility of the conversations around here.

May the COW prosper and endure well into the future.

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom@Mark Raudonis
by on Apr 26, 2016 at 7:31:04 pm

Mark, I remember when you first showed up and I told Kathlyn, "Hey, that is Mark Raudonis. We must be doing something right." Thank you for your many contributions to the COW, Mark. They are remembered and appreciated.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC

Return to posts index

Ronny CourtensRe: Creative COW Turns 15! A Celebration of Being Uncool
by on Apr 16, 2016 at 6:34:49 pm

What a fantastic journey you guys have gone through! And a brilliant article indeed, Tim. Many congrats on this birthday and many, many great years to come.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom@Ronny Courten
by on Apr 26, 2016 at 9:30:16 pm

Thank you for the kind words, Ronny. They are truly appreciated.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC

Return to posts index

Graham QuinceRe: Creative COW Turns 15! A Celebration of Being Uncool
by on Apr 17, 2016 at 9:45:40 am

Many, many congratulations. I owe CreativeCOW a huge debt in helping me learn a whole lot of products.

Way back when, you ran a competition giving away plugins for After Effects (the competition was based on forum comtributions) I won a copy of Useful Things which was awesome and came to me at just the right time in my learning. The plugin may have disappeared now, but I'm thrilled Bessie is still with us.

I'll forever be grateful to you guys and can't wait for your 30th!

http://www.YouTube.com/ShiveringCactus - Free FX for amateur films
http://shiveringcactus.wordpress.com/ - FX blog

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom@Graham Quince
by on Apr 26, 2016 at 7:28:46 pm

We remember that contest, Graham. I am glad you are still here and still find the COW a useful thing. ;)

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC

Return to posts index

Steve ConnorRe: Article: Creative COW Turns 15! A Celebration of Being Uncool
by on Apr 17, 2016 at 3:54:51 pm

I hadn't realised the COW was quite so old! Great story and congratulations to everybody involved especially the legends that are Kathleen, Ron and Tim. Here's to the next 15!

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom@Steve Connor
by on Apr 26, 2016 at 7:27:05 pm

Steve, I can remember when you first became a part of all this. It has been an honor to have you here. We appreciate your input and generosity. You are a class act, Steve.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Creative COW Turns 15! A Celebration of Being Uncool
by on Apr 21, 2016 at 9:29:08 pm

At age fifteen, it's probably time to say: "Mazel Tov!" :-)

Glad to have been a small part of the phenomenon, and even more grateful for all the COW has given me over the years.

Return to posts index

Rich RubaschRe: Creative COW Turns 15! A Celebration of Being Uncool
by on Apr 21, 2016 at 9:32:59 pm

Funny Tilt Media also turned 15 this year....January 1st to be exact. And just after I started my company I got a call from Ron Lindeboom to see if I would be a forum host on his new venture.....the Creative COW site! So I was one of the very first forum hosts and proud to be one as well.

Still here....still makin' noise!

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Post removed.

Ronald Lindeboom@Rich Rubasch
by on Apr 26, 2016 at 7:25:12 pm

Rich, thank you for remembering. You have always been such a generous and kind soul whose part in the COW has long been appreciated. Thank you for being here.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom@Mark Suszko
by on Apr 26, 2016 at 7:23:45 pm

Mark, you have been far more than a small part of the COW. Thank you for always being a part of it. It is an honor to have you here.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC

Return to posts index

Wayne WilliamsRe: Creative COW Turns 15! A Celebration of Being Uncool
by on Apr 23, 2016 at 5:58:21 am

Thank you Ron, Kathlyn and Tim (Mr Wilson)... Tim, your written COW historical nails down us uncool artists who starved through the learning curve. Over these years I did evolved with the COW, I call my studio the Pond. It's located in the corner of Bessie's pasture. My story was your story in the Premiere Issue of the COW Mag. This very experience directed my way, established my goings. Most honorable. I'm forever grateful.

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom@Wayne William
by on Apr 26, 2016 at 7:22:49 pm

Yes, you were on board the inaugural issue of the magazine. It was an honor to have you there, Wayne. Thank you for being a part of the COW all these years and for getting my father's story onto video. He'd have never held still for me doing it but somehow, you got him to open up and sit down to tell the story. I am forever grateful.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC

Return to posts index

Richard HerdRe: Article: Creative COW Turns 15! A Celebration of Being Uncool
by on Apr 26, 2016 at 7:59:14 pm

Wow! I've been doing this for 11 years now -- can't believe it. Love this place. Thanks so much for providing the cow. My name really is Herd. Moo.

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom@Richard Herd
by on Apr 26, 2016 at 9:31:40 pm

Thanks for another giggle on the day, Richard, and for being a part of this for the last 11 years.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
Publisher Emeritus, Creative COW Magazine

Return to posts index

Stephen SmithRe: Creative COW Turns 15! A Celebration of Being Uncool
by on Apr 26, 2016 at 8:56:51 pm

I love it! Congratulations on 15 great years! What an amazing website and friends.

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom@Stephen Smith
by on Apr 26, 2016 at 9:32:27 pm

Stephen, thank you for all your support and enthusiasm over the years. It has been an honor to have you here.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC

Return to posts index

Aindreas GallagherRe: Article: Creative COW Turns 15! A Celebration of Being Uncool
by on Apr 26, 2016 at 9:46:32 pm

God lovely read. I never even knew WWUG was Ron and Kathryn Lindeboom. In my head I always called it wookie with a 'g'. I was fresh in the job being asked to figure out AE around 4.0 or so when the original AE cow appeared - you could have kissed the screen. That you knew then things were going to be ok in terms of learning and asking. That the cow was the cow. It had landed. All belated thanks and congrats.

http://ogallchoir.prosite.com/
producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom@Aindreas Gallagher
by on Jun 22, 2016 at 8:21:51 pm

I remember you from back at the old WWUG days. It has been a while. I had no gray when Kathlyn and I began building communities online. Now, I am all gray. :)

I appreciate reading your kind words, it has been an honour (I add the UK's extra u out of respect) to be a part of your life all these years. Thank you for the vote of confidence and for the long ride together.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC

Return to posts index

Noah KadnerRe: Article: Creative COW Turns 15! A Celebration of Being Uncool
by on Apr 27, 2016 at 8:00:26 pm

Wow this makes me a lifer- Happy Birthday Bessie!

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

jasmine petersonRe: Article: Creative COW Turns 15! A Celebration of Being Uncool
by on May 6, 2016 at 1:55:14 pm

I've been around long enough to visit the pasture BEFORE the grass was green and the all the COWS well fed and happy! So, congrats to Tim for keeping the farm going, and a tip o' the hat to Ron and Kathlyn for pioneering the land grant. I remember the debate over "anonymous" vs "Real" ID's, and I'm proud to say that I used my REAL name well before it was a requirement. I strongly believe that simple policy has contributed greatly to the quality and civility of the conversations around here. May the COW prosper and endure well into the future.

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom@jasmine peterson
by on Jun 22, 2016 at 8:26:19 pm

Thank you for the kind words, Jasmine. The smart people and the ones with real integrity always used their real names, Jasmine. :D

It was an honor to read your story. Thank you for telling it.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC

Return to posts index

Mary Grace ViajeRe: Article: Creative COW Turns 15! A Celebration of Being Uncool
by on May 11, 2016 at 7:30:14 pm

Wow! Congratulations for 15 years of success! I'm really new to this forum and I'm looking forward to meet new artist.

Mary Grace Viaje,
3D / 2D Animator

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: Article: Creative COW Turns 15! A Celebration of Being Uncool
by on May 17, 2016 at 10:37:19 am

I've only just caught up with this thread and want to add my heartfelt thanks to 'The Cow' for ten years of help and support. It is a wonderful organisation and I always urge editors, camera persons, etc to peruse any forums they might think relevant to their craft as there are jewels aplenty always to be found.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom@Michael Slowe
by on Jun 22, 2016 at 8:29:32 pm

Thank you, Michael, for the kind support and for sharing Creative COW with your friends and colleagues. It is appreciated greatly.

I really enjoyed reading your post, just now. Thank you for adding it.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC

Return to posts index

Ronald LindeboomRe: Creative COW Turns 15! A Celebration of Being Uncool
by on Jun 22, 2016 at 9:39:14 pm

UPDATE: The part of the story that Tim couldn't have foreseen when he wrote this a few months ago, was that the real reason I retired was due to failing health. He kindly glossed over the fact that my health got so bad back in 2012, that Kathlyn and I (and Tim) knew that I better retire or as the old joke goes, "Death is nature's way of telling you that you need to slow down."

So I retired and have spent the last few years getting my health back. So much so in fact that I began working behind the scenes to revamp the COW interface -- not changing its core strengths and what it has always done right for the last 20 years or so, when I began building it at the WWUG -- but refreshing it and simplifying it and culling some of the things that remained from the years of trying to see how big we could make it and how many different facets it could contain and branch off into.

Now, it is a matter of cleaning it up and simplifying things and focusing on its core strengths.

So, I have yet again donned my black and white cow-spotted cap and have begun to wiggle my cow ears for another go round the pastures.

BUT...

Tim Wilson has done such an exemplary job running things in the COW, that neither Kathlyn nor I want to change the way that he has been running things nor do we want to take the general manager's seat again. That belongs to Tim and won't be changing. I like to joke with Tim that I will play his janitor and fix-it guy.

Tim and I have always loved working together and we tend to inspire one another, and I am sure that part won't change and we'll be doing many new things to breathe new life and vitality into Creative COW.

As Tim points out, the mechanism on which Creative COW runs has always been one of the most fluid and powerful -- and yes, ugly -- interfaces in the world of online communities. But as I like to joke, Creative COW has been really ugly for a long time now and is the biggest ugliest thing in its market. (Though to be honest, we'll try to polish off some of the ugly, okay?)

Tim would tell you that I never really wanted to retire, I had to. Failing health will do that to you. But thankfully, my health has been getting better and so it's time to throw some seeds onto the pasture and maybe trim some of the weeds that have grown up over the years. I am really looking forward to that.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC

Return to posts index

Ralph HajikRe: Creative COW Turns 15! A Celebration of Being Uncool
by on Jun 22, 2016 at 10:31:15 pm

Hello Ronald and Kathlyn

I wish you both all the best and I know Tim is doing a great job with the Cow. Enjoy your retirement.

Ralph Hajik

Happy Travels
Ralph Hajik

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]