CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

Football is a bad word?

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave LaRondeFootball is a bad word?
by on Apr 13, 2016 at 12:11:22 am

Maybe I'm just behind the times in modern slang. It's certainly possible.

On the main After Effects forum, an AE beginner is asking about dressing up videos of flag football games. Twice I've posted in the thread, and twice I've been notified that it's under scrutiny for the use of a bad word: "football".

Somehow I find it tough to believe that this word is a bad word. If I'm missing something, please let me know.

It'll be interesting to see if this post also falls into posting limbo.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: Football is a bad word?
by on Apr 13, 2016 at 7:34:23 am

This is our number one spam word in Creative COW, by far.

The full explanation is here. The full version is worth reading, but here's a summary.

We introduced that filter when spammers around the world began offering pirated streams, typically as a front for phishing. (Give us your credit card, and see games without cable or satellite.)

It started during the World Cup version of f-ball, but quickly expanded into the NFL variety of f-ball, as well as a particular spike during college Bowl season.

During March, we also get quite a few spammers trying the same "give us your credit card" phishing schemes for college hoops.

We used to get a lot more spam for sports gambling than we do nowadays, so I suppose we have people like Draft Kings to thank for that....but you can imagine that f-ball of every variety, along with college hoops, figured in the scazillions of spam posts we got for that too.

I can't even begin to stress the scale of this, Dave, especially for f-ball. We get INUNDATED.

The fact is that we might catch a legitimate post or two a couple of times a month across the entire COW with filters like this.

But we can fend off THOUSANDS of sports spam posts EVERY DAY, with spikes during the year that are even higher than that!

We've had this filter for many years, and the one for hoops for years before that, but you've not noticed until now. Most people have never noticed at all, and likely never will.

We've found this small, virtually painless solution to what was formerly one of our biggest problems.

Probably more answer than you were looking for, but I gotta tell you, I was fascinated to see it emerge as a problem maybe 8 or 10 years ago, and it's definitely getting worse.

We do try to get those posts on their way as quickly as possible, but there's your explanation for why we do it. Because there's no other way we've found to protect our forums from our biggest source of spam.

btw, our #1 spam topic used to be male enhancement drugs. There's probably an MBA thesis in here somewhere about why it's changed from those to sports.

Best,

Tim Wilson
Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Football is a bad word?
by on Apr 13, 2016 at 4:05:11 pm

Well, now I know. Thanks! I didn't know the problem was so big!

So it wasn't a matter of being behind the times, slang-wise. It was a matter of being oblivious. Figures.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: Football is a bad word?
by on Apr 13, 2016 at 6:13:16 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "So it wasn't a matter of being behind the times, slang-wise."

Hey, for all I know, you and I are BOTH behind the times, slang-wise. :-)

But yes, in this case, it's literal, and applies to the various usages of the term globally....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]