CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

Anyone experiencing issues with connecting to the Cow?

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd PerchertAnyone experiencing issues with connecting to the Cow?
by on Apr 8, 2015 at 7:59:34 pm

I'm trying to narrow down problems I'm having specifically with my connection to the Cow. Has there been any issues with the servers that would make connecting a problem? I'll view a few threads, then I'll lose connection. About an hour or so later I can re-connect - takes a while. Then I'll type a response and hit Post, but lose connection and never goes through and I lose what I was posting.
I'm trying to figure out if it's Bessie or my local network. I don't have issues with any other site.
Thanks!
TC

Return to posts index

Abraham ChaffinRe: Anyone experiencing issues with connecting to the Cow?
by on Apr 8, 2015 at 8:23:36 pm

Hello Todd,

Thank you for letting us know about this. There has not been any issues with our system lately. When was this occurring?

Abraham

Return to posts index

by on Apr 8, 2015 at 8:27:20 pm

As I took a look closer at your IP address, it seems your IP address tried to communicate with our system on port 137. This is a NetBIOS port, which intruders often scan and try to access when trying to penetrate a network or system. Thus, we block communications with IP addresses which try to access these or other obscure ports. Do you know why your IP address might have been trying to communicate to the COW in this manner?

Abraham

Return to posts index

Todd PerchertRe: Anyone experiencing issues with connecting to the Cow?
by on Apr 9, 2015 at 4:52:08 pm

Thanks for letting me know that!

[Abraham Chaffin] "Do you know why your IP address might have been trying to communicate to the COW in this manner?"

HA! No, I do not know why that would happen! That is weird, because I'll be reading posts just fine and then I'll be blocked. So it must be using a TCP/IP port to start.
I can't see any of our switches or routers doing that. It would have to be my Mac. Which is really strange why it would only try to communicate with the Cow in that manner.

Return to posts index

Todd PerchertRe: Anyone experiencing issues with connecting to the Cow?
by on Apr 9, 2015 at 4:54:20 pm

This started approximately a couple months ago. I'll have to try and figure this one out.
TC

Return to posts index

Todd TerryRe: Anyone experiencing issues with connecting to the Cow?
by on Apr 23, 2015 at 8:54:38 pm

I'm very late to the party here but I'll note that it happens to me fairly frequently, too. I'll be on the COW, either reading, or just surfing, or posting, and notice I will lose contact. A little while later (an hour or less) and the COW is back.

I'll usually notice it when I get an email about a COW thread, and then when clicking on the link to enter the forum it will be dead. OR, when writing a response to someone, sometime between reading their submission and when I click "Post" it has lost its way.

Switching between multiple computers does not help (I still have contact with the rest of the WWW, just not the COW). We also have two separate ISPs here (our regular ISP is cable, and we have DSL through AT&T as our emergency backup). If I push the button in the server room to switch to the backup ISP, it doesn't change the situation. I've also had the same issue when accessing the COW at home.

I don't know what the issue is, but I don't think it's anywhere in our building. On the upside, t least the trouble is usually short-lived.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

by on Apr 24, 2015 at 1:02:28 am

Hello Todd,

Thank you for jumping in and adding to this. I would like to help resolve any connectivity issues you may be having. I'm not seeing any indication you are technically having the same issues Todd P. was having, and I'm not seeing any entry in our firewall indicating your IP address was blocked. When did you last experience this connectivity issue?

Abraham

Return to posts index

by on Apr 24, 2015 at 3:57:32 pm

Oh gosh Abraham... I couldn't say when. I don't think it's happened in, oh, probably at least a couple of weeks. Maybe a month. But it has been happening for a long time with regularity.

It's not a big deal for me, rarely do I have a "posting emergency" haa... and the problem always resolves itself after a while.

OH!... I did just think of something that I completely forgot... I do remember one time when I couldn't connect that I whipped out my phone and checked the site, and couldn't connect that way either. I just assumed the COW was down for a minute for some reason or other. That was quite a while back, though, hence my not remembering that.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

by on May 1, 2015 at 9:17:39 pm

For what it's worth, this just now happened to me again. I could not access the COW, trying different browsers, two different ISPs, and just for the heck of it trying with my phone...

But when I tried now again about 10 minutes later, seemed to connect fine...

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]