CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

On the kitten heels of Kylie's editorial

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark SuszkoOn the kitten heels of Kylie's editorial
by on Dec 8, 2014 at 4:12:28 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Dec 8, 2014 at 4:13:53 pm

SO, I was looking at the online ad for Fusion 7, and of course, there is a lot of posed photography showing a young, hip editing environment where young hip people are editing young and hip things. And they decorate their work spaces in typical young hip ways.

Only, in two separate workstations, one in the foreground and one in the back, in one of these product photos, you see, prominently displayed in an area shared by male and female co-workers, a life-size "trophy" statue featuring "The Shocker". What the bleep is that guy EDITING, anyway? Or the guy in the back corner. And the women editors working alongside him seem okay with it?

Besides being in possibly poor taste, it would seem to me that such an item displayed in public cubicles would raise some H.R. issues in the real world. I know I wouldn't dare bring that to work here. I gotta wonder was it the art director for the product photo, or the guys working in the real cubicles, who decided this was something that makes the place look "edgy"? Is it a very "inside" joke? Or is this a legit trophy for some film competition, in which case, I probably don't want details about the films that won it.

I'm not clutching my pearls and fainting on the couch here - I'm not complaining, but it's just that I'm always interested in design and photo imagery used to sell things, because it's supposed to speak to the perceptions and self-image of the target consumer and make them feel like this is who they are and where they want to be... and instead of me wondering if I want to use Fusion 7 for editing, now this photo has me wondering if these editors are throwing a key party for (very) Casual Friday. Is it just me? What is the real story? :-)

For bonus points, a survey question: if you worked in an editing cube farm, would YOU approve of a co-worker putting that on the edge of the divider where you get to see it and think about it all the time you're working?

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: On the kitten heels of Kylie's editorial
by on Dec 8, 2014 at 4:16:40 pm

Upon further review, it looks like an animator's maquette of an articulated hand. But the pose remains rude. Did nobody notice?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]