CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

group generic forums separately?

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Gerulaitisgroup generic forums separately?
by on Dec 13, 2013 at 6:43:52 pm

There seem to be a few generic forums on Cow, the rest being vendor- or brand-specific. Would it make sense to create a separate section for these generic forums and group them separately?

Say, if I have a question that is not vendor specific (what graphics card? what hard drives? what shared storage?) - a relevant forum can be hard to find...

Currently, there're two main sections (groups):
- COW Related
- CREATIVE/USER SUPPORT

If you're looking for something that is not vendor or brand specific, it seems that the right forum can be hard to locate, especially for a newbie, and grouping those forums together could make it easier?

Return to posts index

Bob ZelinRe: group generic forums separately?
by on Dec 31, 2013 at 4:00:03 pm

I agree a little -
when we have forums like "Arrays" and "Storage" , or forums like "NAS" and SAN Networks" - these are kind of the same forums.
But as you can see, people look for different keywords. We have seen people post questions about shared storage under "Arrays", and people asking disk drive questions in "SAN Networks" - so Cow has little control over what key words people will seek out.

I have personally found that certain forums (like Apple OS X) are not the best places to be asking technical questions, because I know that people like you Alex, will look at more technical forums (like SAN Networks), and I find that if I ask a technical question that I can't find an answer to, I will be better off asking in XSAN, than in OS X, which brings in more lower end users.

In contrast, if someone has a Tiger Technology MetaSAN question, it would not be good if that question got buried in a generic SAN Networks forum, if someone simply wanted an answer about MetaSAN, and did not want to wade thru tons of other posts.

Just my 2 cents.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]