CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

I Must Be Missing Something...

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Poo YanI Must Be Missing Something...
by on Sep 1, 2013 at 12:42:01 am

...but I can't understand this interface. Specifically, I can't find the list of my own posts, and since I'm still in moderation, I can't search for them.

The true irony is that I won't ever learn how until someone replies to this...

Sorry if I seem stupid here. The interface is unlike any other forum I've browsed.

Thanks for any help.

Intel i5-3570K
Nvidia GTX 660
32GB RAM
SSD for the OS
WD Black 2TB for Video.

Return to posts index

Abraham ChaffinRe: I Must Be Missing Something...
by on Sep 1, 2013 at 5:44:14 pm

Hello Poo,

To see your recent posts you can go to http://my.creativecow.net/ and then click on activity in the sub navigation bar. You can also use the search engine, even if you are moderated.

Abraham

Return to posts index

Poo YanRe: I Must Be Missing Something...
by on Sep 1, 2013 at 8:50:53 pm

Thanks for your response. I didn't see the "activity" link, which is exactly what I wanted. My searches didn't work, probably because at the time my post had not yet made prime-time.

Intel i5-3570K
Nvidia GTX 660
32GB RAM
SSD for the OS
WD Black 2TB for Video.

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: I Must Be Missing Something...
by on Sep 1, 2013 at 6:09:24 pm

Clicking on your screen name will take you to your posts and their replies, as well as any posts you're mentioned in. Just that simple.

Moderation has nothing to do with time. It has everything to do with posts that add value to the life the forum. Moderation of new accounts is our single most important tool for keeping low-quality and spam posts to a minimum, and preserving the high signal of our communities.

Right now, your most frequent topic is about being moderated. Less of that, more of contributing questions or answers about professional creativity, and you'll find moderation quickly lifted.

We agree that this is not how other forums operate. We are also obviously aware that other forums look and act differently. However, we look at results. Creative COW is more successful, with more traffic and more members, than the rest of industry forums combined. We even dwarf the support traffic at a number of vendors' own sites. What we're doing is working.

That said, we're always open to refinement. One of our regular topics for discussion internally is the default position for "show newbie posts."

Here's the part that's difficult for new members to relate to. Creative COW started in 2001. Many of our most frequent posters have been here for 10 years or more, and they found it frustrating to answer the same set of questions over and over...year after year.

I do understand your concern that your posts aren't being seen by experienced people who can answer them, but that has not generally been our experience. The fact is that the majority of our senior members are happy to answer those questions, and many of the most active posters in our Beginner forums are also our most senior.

Again, default position for "show newbie posts" is something we continue to discuss internally as we try to optimize the experience of Creative COW for all of her hundreds of thousands of members, both new and veteran. I genuinely appreciate your perspective on this, and assure you that it will be taken into account.

I hope this helps, both for understanding WHY we do what we do, and HOW you can maximize the usefulness of the COW. Please don't hesitate to ask any additional questions that may be able to help.

Best,

Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW

Return to posts index

Poo YanRe: I Must Be Missing Something...
by on Sep 1, 2013 at 9:01:23 pm

Thanks for your post. I think it's got excellent stuff in it, and shows a real concern for newbie users like me. And I can appreciate the desire to keep things running smoothly and presenting valuable information. My preoccupation with moderation is that I've never experienced a probationary period to join a forum. It's a new and strange experience. Again, I understand the reasoninig behind it.

As for my ability to contribute to the forum, i don't have a great ability to do so right now, as I'm learning some of the ropes of video, video editing, Premiere Pro, and the peculiarities of the Creative Cow. Needless to say, a few of these topics have, in my opinion, a steep learning curve. I don't really have much to contribute, since this isn't my area of expertise. I'm sure you know what I mean.

[Tim Wilson] "I do understand your concern that your posts aren't being seen by experienced people who can answer them, but that has not generally been our experience. The fact is that the majority of our senior members are happy to answer those questions, and many of the most active posters in our Beginner forums are also our most senior."

So far, I've gotten good results from people who seem to know a lot more about all of this than I, so I'm not complaining about the quality of the answers I've received; I would, of course, like to have even more excellent, contributing members see my post in the hopes of a more expeditious answer, or more thorough one, or the chance of starting a healthy dialog about the question, with lots of ideas.

I really appreciate this post, Tim. Keep up the great work!

Intel i5-3570K
Nvidia GTX 660
32GB RAM
SSD for the OS
WD Black 2TB for Video.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]