CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

low ram consumption Video Editing Software?

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amith Devadigalow ram consumption Video Editing Software?
by on Aug 12, 2013 at 6:20:54 am

Anyone suggest best low ram consumption Video Editing Software?

1GB RAM.
2.21 Ghz Processor

Return to posts index

Alex GerulaitisRe: low ram consumption Video Editing Software?
by on Aug 12, 2013 at 7:16:36 pm

Freebies and lightweight packages like Microsoft Movie Maker and Premiere Elements perhaps?

Premiere Elements needs 2GB RAM, Movie Maker - 1GB, will run on 32-bit XP systems. There're also similar lightweight editors from Sony, Pinnacle Systems. Look at their specs, see if they're OK with 1GB RAM and try them out.

You could also look at older versions of popular software - older than 5 years, perhaps even 10, but watch out for HD support and codec compatibility. From what I remember, Vegas Pro and Edius were relatively lightweight.

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: low ram consumption Video Editing Software?
by on Aug 13, 2013 at 3:48:09 am

Amith, if you mean that 1 GB of RAM is the total of what you have available, I think you are out of luck. As Alex points out, 2 GB is generally the minimum for the application itself -- and your computer likely needs another 1 GB just to operate.

I just took a look at the solutions Alex recommended, and they all want at least 2, preferably 4 gigs.

Here's the exception: if you're working with small size files that don't require much processing. This rules out anything HD, and probably anything MPEG, which requires lots of processing power to encode and decode.

Since Creative COW is oriented toward professional editing, where upwards of 100 GB of RAM is not uncommon, we may not be able to offer much more help than this.

Good luck!

Tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]