CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

Upgrading Mac Pros

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James FoardUpgrading Mac Pros
by on Jul 16, 2013 at 8:50:23 pm

I wasn't sure where to post this, so please move this to the most appropriate forum as you see fit.

A new startup television network I work for acquired two power macs from the previous business that operated in the building. Both machines are from around 2007 or before and i've been tasked with finding out what is the bare minimum to upgrade them to run FCP Studio 3 and Adobe Suite (and no, "just buy new machines" is not an option). Also, when I installed the Adobe Suite (CS6), 3 programs would not install, including Premiere.

So, here's what I do have:

#1:
Mac Pro - Mid 2007 model
OS - Lion 10.7
2 X 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon processor
1 GB memory (2 x 512MB 667 MHz ECC DDR2 FB-DIMM) 8 slots total available.
2 HD - 1 x 400GB, 1 x 500GB
Bus Speed - 1.33 GHz

#2:
Power Mac G5
Machine Moddel - PowerMac 7,3
OS - 10.4.11
Processor - Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5
Memory - 2 GB DDR SDRAM PC3200U-30330 (1 GB each) 4 slots total available

Let me know what other info you would need and any help in this matter would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Bernard NewnhamRe: Upgrading Mac Pros
by on Aug 6, 2013 at 9:04:47 am

This seems to have been around quite a while without an answer from anyone. Sadly "just buy new machines" is the only option. These machines are from 2007 - going on seven years ago. Almost the stone age in computer terms. The only way to upgrade them is to remove the motherboard, processor, memory, graphics card, power supply, displays, and replace with new. You might be able to keep the outer case.

Bernie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]