CREATIVE COW: Feedback Forum About Us Contact Us Support Articles

7 Days of Free Downloads / Videoblocks - Free for Commercial Use?

COW Forums : Letters to the COW Team

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Mailer7 Days of Free Downloads / Videoblocks - Free for Commercial Use?
by on Nov 21, 2012 at 7:06:07 am

I just received a promotional e-mail from Creative Cow and just wanted to get the simple question answered that is probably on some people's minds.

Are the downloads with these 7 free days from the sponsor's website free for commercial use with no strings attached?

Thanks for the time and clarification.

Return to posts index

Tim WilsonRe: 7 Days of Free Downloads / Videoblocks - Free for Commercial Use?
by on Nov 21, 2012 at 6:30:06 pm

[Bryan Mailer] "Are the downloads with these 7 free days from the sponsor's website free for commercial use with no strings attached?"

Yes.

Be aware that you'll need to give them your credit card, and if you stay beyond 7 days, they'll charge you for a month's membership. This is spelled out clearly, but we still hear people complaining that it's somehow sneaky. It's not. Most people who do free trials do the same thing.

We also hear from people who actually READ the details that it's good stuff, and many of them continue with the membership.

Enjoy,
Tim

Tim Wilson
Vice President, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW

Return to posts index

Nikki JonesRe: 7 Days of Free Downloads / Videoblocks - Free for Commercial Use?
by on Nov 21, 2012 at 6:31:11 pm

Bryan,

I work for Video Blocks, and the answer to your question is: Yes! You can absolutely use the clips you download in ALL types of projects, including commercial use. Even if you create a free trial, download clips, and then cancel your account without ever paying anything, you can STILL use the clips. There are never any additional fees.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions, and thanks for your interest in Video Blocks!

- Nikki

Return to posts index

Bryan MailerRe: 7 Days of Free Downloads / Videoblocks - Free for Commercial Use?
by on Nov 21, 2012 at 8:16:58 pm

Thanks for getting back to me.

I suppose I have an additional question on transferability. If one downloads files and uses them in a project, can one sell that completed project and the new owner have no license issues going forward?

Another question is a minor detail. If the 7 day test period is tested and ultimately cancelled, how exactly is the 7 days measured?

For example, if someone signs up on Monday at noon, do they have to cancel by next Monday at noon, or before midnight Sunday night, or before close of business hours Sunday, etc?

Thanks for the clarification. Your helpfulness has caused me to consider Videoblocks, whereas no response to this thread would have probably ensured that I wouldn't consider it, as I and many are wary of online offers.

Return to posts index

Nikki JonesRe: 7 Days of Free Downloads / Videoblocks - Free for Commercial Use?
by on Nov 21, 2012 at 8:42:12 pm

Bryan,

The use you describe is perfectly acceptable: If you download clips from VideoBlocks.com, you can use them in a project and then sell that completed project to a new owner, and there will be no issues.

We are very liberal with our licensing (because we are also video editors and hate overly confusing restrictions), and really the only thing we don't allow is reselling or redistributing clips from Video Blocks as stock media. But as long as they are incorporated into a project of some kind, there are no issues.

As for the duration of the 7 day free trial, we are actually lenient and bill on the morning of the 8th day to make sure everyone gets at least a full 7 days to try and cancel if they want. So if you sign up on Monday at noon, then the following Tuesday (day 8) at 1am you will be billed.

That said, if you forget to cancel and don't think the clips you downloaded were worth $79, then we don't want you to feel stuck with the bill and will happily issue a refund. Just let us know!

Let me know if you have any more questions.

- Nikki

--
Nikki Jones
VideoBlocks.com
11160-C1 South Lakes Dr.
Suite 262
Reston, VA 20191
(P) (866) 282-5360
http://www.videoblocks.com

Video Blocks is a 2012 Inc. 500 Honoree
Ranked #4 Fastest Growing Media Company

Return to posts index

Bryan MailerRe: 7 Days of Free Downloads / Videoblocks - Free for Commercial Use?
by on Nov 21, 2012 at 9:24:35 pm

Thanks again for the answers and clarification.

Return to posts index

Darren EdwardsRe: 7 Days of Free Downloads / Videoblocks - Free for Commercial Use?
by on Jan 11, 2013 at 1:40:03 pm

I betook the Free Trial last year, cancelled after 6 days and didn't get charged. Thank you.

Yesterday, after a surge of promo emails, I logged onto the VB site to ascertain if my erstwhile account was still valid. It was. I logged in but immediately cancelled any subscription, didn't download anything, and logged out.

It transpired that the moment I logged in, Videoblocks debited my account for (approx.) £50-£60. I've now wasted half the morning researching similar stories online, speaking to the bank and writing out Contact Us forms at the VB website. I would phone, but I imagine a UK - USA customer service call is going to get quite pricey.

Bad timing, especially with the post-Christmas bills coming in.

Darren.

http://www.youtube.com/user/darrenpce

Return to posts index

Post removed.

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]